Stories That Changed for the Better

• Members

I never got the genius that supposedly was Cynthia Watros. I liked her well enough, but I didn't see the fuss.

Triangles are not what they used to be where the point of contention is interesting and worth it (unlike a Liam Spencer aka Ethan Crane). Now, the deck is stacked in favor of the couple the audience is supposed to root for and the wacko makes it so that we can't help but want them to win. What really happens is that we are turned off to the whole thing and don't care about any of the 3!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC: Annie's original descent into madness. The original plan was to turn her into a serial killer and write her off but Pratt took over as head writer and so viability in her, and had Ritchie be her only victim and then firmly implanted her into the Chandler fold which did her character wonders

Thats a story that changed for the worse. They should have stuck with their original plan and moved forward with it. The stuff with the doctor was clearly slapped together and came across as a mess onscreen. Michael as the killer had more potential to be a meatier story with longer reprecussions. This was back when he was played by Chucky, so seeing him as a killer wasnt too far off.

Did Guza say he was going to make it Carly?

• Members

I read in a few places that it was gonna be Carly but TG convinced Guza to make it Luke.

As for Michael being the killer, I completely agree. The writers should not have backed down when this was the better story. I didn't see all of that story, but yeah, Chucky was more fitting as the killer.

• Members

The story sucked from the beginning, but OLTL's trite saga of Blair and Patrick conceiving a child during their brief fling (which caused endless angst for Marty and Todd) had a hideously ugly ending thanks to the new headwriting team. Blair's cousin Kelly wasn't looking where she was going and hit Blair and Patrick's car as they were driving from the hospital. Blair lost the baby, and then had several strokes, resulting in months of being comatose. Somehow the show decided the best story to tell was to have Todd pay his lawyer Tea big money to marry him so that he could get sole custody of Starr, his daughter with Blair, while she was near-death in the hospital. Tea was immediately written as mother of the year, instead of the prostitute she basically was at that time. The show was so scared of viewers not fawning over Tea that they even had Blair inexplicably make racist remarks to try to get viewers to pity her.

Meanwhile, Kelly faced zero blame for what she'd done, even after she covered up the crime. Everyone - literally everyone - told her what a special angel she was as Gina Tognoni struggled to make crybaby faces. The only one who didn't pity her was Blair, who was written as a bitch for not immediately forgiving - from her hospital bed, still recovering from a second stroke and not even able to properly walk - Kelly for being a reckless driver.

The story was heinous beyond words, and a real black mark on the show.

• Members

On ATWT, Doug Marland wrote the Carolyn Crawford murder story with the idea that her husband, Darryl, would be the killer, revealed after his marriage to Frannie Hughes. He changed his mind, which muddled the story and led it to drag on to a not overly satisfactory outcome, with a bit player as the killer. He should have stuck to his guns, no matter how good Rex Smith was in the role.

I can't praise Felicia Behr for very much at ATWT, but reversing Holden's brain damage (which had basically made him a cold, unlikeable man with no feelings for his family and little more than an endless hardon for Lily) and having him resolve a long feud with Lily's mother Lucinda (which had grown stale over the years and would have been ludicrous by that point, since most of Lily's non-Holden love interests had tried to murder her!) were both much-needed changes.

• Members

I remember a brilliant blooper reel for OLTL where Robin Strasser adlibs a line in a scene with Kelly/Tognoni circa 1997, trilling in a sweet singsong voice - "ohhh, dear, you're showing a little too much clea-vage for a woman who killed a baby three months ago!"

• Members

Yes. That was bad. Around the same time, Krista Allen was near the end of her pregnancy, playing out a story on DAYS where Billie was forcibly hooked back on heroin and had to detox. I know that pregnant women are probably the strongest people around but I never knew how the actresses dealt with such dark and traumatizing material.

• Members

I thought the first half of DAYS' Princess Gina storyline was mostly boring and pointless. It was when Hope was turned into Gina and slowly trying to make her way into John's arms while pushing Bo away. It also had a lot of art forgery and "Steffie's getting stuffy!" (okay that part was cute), but I didn't really enjoy the Princess Gina story until they were in Europe and Bo brought back Doug & Julie to reach Hope's inner self, and then the Harriman ball and the art stealing, and the real Princess in the castle, etc. and then the best and campiest part of all was when Gina locked Hope in the turret, had miraculous plastic surgery in ONE DAY (PLUS flew a plane from Europe to Salem USA!) and took over Hope's life, with Bo oblivious and Shawn-D (the newly cast Jason Cook) was suspicious. Good soapy stuff, IMO.

Archived