The Plan to Save Days 2013

• Members

Yeah but what conflict? Sonny says nothing, every now and again there is a bit of frustration, but this secret should be eating away at Will and causing more tension between them, Sonny should be more suspicious and catching tail ends of conversations that make him think more is happening, he should have more fights with Gabi or Nick and even Will, which cause Will to feel more and more guilty, Sonny just accepted that Will has a secret that he can't tell. No arguments, no tension, nothing. I don't even know what Will is feeling most of the time. Chandler tries to look torn and conflicted, but the writing does nothing to support him.

Why is will not confiding in Marlena, even if he can't tell her the truth?

Kate should be in on this, especially with Nick in her orbit and her love of her grandson. Where are the talks between Sonny and Kate about Will and their relationship. Too many closed books on this show.

I used to live for the confrontations, even when you knew nothing was going to come out.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1x10000 lol. I mean, look at the Brady/Kristen/John/Marlena storyline. It works because it's A) a storyline, cool.png using actual history, C) carried by capable actors and D) it's not "holding back"

I agree completely. Once MarDar said screw it and started throwing everything against the wall I was much more interested. I wish NBC hadn't interfered so quickly. They just hinged TOO much on the reboot. It felt more like Days than it had in a while.

One of the main problems I have with Tomsell, like last time with Higley, is the isolated characters and I feel like I'm watching several different shows. The John/Marlena/Brady/Kristen & Gabi baby drama feel like DAYS while the rest are just aimless airhogs on a different show with different personalities that DO.NOT.WORK.

And Sami having three men after her does this show no good, either. It's too much. Even though Lucas was pushed out of it, it's still ridiculous at this point. Relationship roulette, IMO, kills so many characters and renders them lifeless. I mean, an ENSEMBLE is what works. Look at GH and Y&R. B&B yeah, has airhogs and a dominating triangle but honestly, it's the shows M.O.

And also, there's too many hands in these shows anymore. The networks who have no clue, Sony (who likely HAS a clue), plus the writers and producers. It's just ridiculous.

EDIT: As far as Will/Sonny go, I think they have more potential than being given. Yeah they get sweet moments, bed moments (regardless of Sonny's black tank top, they're still SHOWN IN BED which is more than we often get), kissing, touching. More than I ever expected. But I feel like Will and Sonny should have had to overcome other various obstacles first (then maybe do the baby story) to make us REALLY believe in them. I buy Sonny's love but Will is just too self-involved. Gee, much like his mother.

And also, I mean, Kristen came back in October and in December/January we already have the sex reveal? WTF? Same for Nick/Gabi/Will. Well, I guess that's a little better and seems to be doing it as right as this team can get, sadly. I get things need to "go faster" nowadays, but man, at least get six months out of it. I think fans are patient enough. Maybe not. IDK. Guess I just have to get used to nothing being slow-burning anymore unless the story is on the backburner.

And again, I love Greg Vaughan and can watch him as Eric all the time every day, quite frankly, but does he have to be on every day? He just arrived. Sheesh. Eric/Sami/Nicole (kinda)/EJ/Rafe/Jennifer/Daniel/Maggie(kinda)/Gabi/Nick/Will/Sonny are on ALL of the time sometimes for NO reason. Ugh. I guess throw John/Brady/Kristen/Mar in there but I consider them DAYS, the rest ... ugh

• Members

KMan101 I think they could go slower if they had more character development. Then a simple scene between two people would mean so much more, without anything major needing to happen. For example they could develop the relationship between Will and Sami more and do more scenes with them. She is organising the wedding and all over Gabi and Nick's business, but has little to do with Will.

I agree there is too much isolation, again, why are Will and Marlena no longer sharing scenes, and Kate and Sonny need more scenes. It is those scenes that give depth to both character and story. It is all about pacing. Audiences get impatient only because writers are not adept at giving us scenes which don't directly relate to the characters current story. Will confided in Marlena about being gay and used to write to her while she was away, yet now they barely talk. Her concern for Will could lead to some Sami/Marlena scenes and there we have taken care of some of the isolation already, and very simply.

Characters are not crossing story-lines unless they don't have one of their own. Why is Kate not all over Sonny about Will. Where is Justin and Adrienne. I would love to see Sonny confide in his dad about Will more. These type of scenes pad out a storyline and again add character development, something that is sorely needed right now.

As for Greg Vaughn, I love him too, and no he doesn't need to be on all the time, but they could at least give us some back story for him. As I said before he is written like the town priest who could be any body. Eric has been gone a long time. Give us some idea of who he is now, even if he is on once a week, make it meaningful and develop him, then throw him into a story.

• Members

The show is boring and predictable. The problem is they dont take any risks. I need Days to be a bit more over the top. Write some ridiculous storylines. I used to love the feeling of watching and going "I cant beleive that just happened". Not so much anymore as everything is predictable and doesnt take you by surprise. They need to turn the dial on the camp factor and ramp it up. Infuse some humor and personality back. Really no soap on the air fufills this but I think Days with its history stands the best chance of being like that. Make it stand out and unique from the rest. Right now, its just there

• Members

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again what DAYS needs to do is take note of what Valentini did to GH and speed up the show/scenes and make it faster. The whole moving at a snails pace type of show is outdated. People get bored with it. Not to mention people do not want to take an hour out of their day to watch a show where nothing happens. I think they would benefit by speeding it up.

• Members

+1 +1 +1 +1

One of the reasons a lot of people got hooked on DAYS was it's over the top stories. Write something over the top. I used to love the over the top stories that involved the DiMera family. If it's working for GH (Duke removing his mask to reveal he is really Faison) than surely it can work for DAYS. Look at what they used to do in the 90's. James E. Reilly gave them some good material to play and it was must see TV. They need to reunite the DiMeras and do that now.

Yeah I like it when they wait a while for reveals. I was thinking more along the lines of what Valentini did to GH with speeding up the overall show/scenes. The show moves faster but at the same time the stories still play out over time. They have more detail and the dialogue isn't boring. I am firm believer that dialogue makes or breaks a show. lol

• Members

Sorry my friend, I can't agree with this because when you really look at it, exactly what has been resolved on GH? I mean stuff that really mattered? We know that Mumphis is final, we know that Matt killed Lisa (even though that was done, re-opened and no one really cared) and we also know that the detective (name escapes me) was beating up Johnny's dancers. These are really the only "stories" wrapped up in 2012. but you have to ask yourself, who gave a chit about this stuff? They were used as stall tactics and left a considerable amount of the audience scratching their heads as to why these things were brought back up. The last thing Corday should do is follow Valentini's lead!

• Members

I think the main thing is making people care. There's no reason for people to care. And there's no heart, which DAYS always had in its most popular years. There's no one who fills that role. Many of the show's heroines are shockingly cold and hard. The most likeable heroine is Nicole who...is not supposed to be one.

• Members

I also have this feeling that Days will screw up the good stuff. Tuesday's show was written by Melissa Salmons and has widely been regarded on the board as one of the best in months. Richard Culliton routinely gets tons of praise for his scripts (as he should). Hint, Days... make THEM headwriters and then leave them alone! Let them work their scripts.

I agree you have to take fan reaction into account. Some fans are cray lunatics who relentlessly hate on actors and characters, and you gotta take them with a grain of salt. But I agree with everyone here... I'm biased because I'm a Jack-Jennifer fan, but even if I had not been I could have told you the Dannifer plot wasn't working. And when you get that many people blasting the story it should tell you that it's not working.

I think the big problem Days also has is that it's driven away viewers like myself who got sick of all the actor/character exits. I know all three of these actors left voluntarily, but I miss Molly, Renee and Peter. It is the firings of talented people like Crystal, Nadia (although she is coming back temporarily), Christie, Patrick, Ian, Sarah and Matt that I speculate drove a lot of viewers away.

It's almost as if TomSell doesn't want to embrace the supercouple. It's like they're showing the middle finger at us. A lot of people don't want to see triangles, Gary. They want to see couples working through obstacles, just like in the 1980s, 1990s and parts of the last decade.

Just my two cents as always. :)

• Members

Yeah, the revolving door of actors has been really bad. Losing who we did this last time really made me more aggravated than before. I don't know why I think it was just predictable first of all and Tomlin is transparent as hell. He also clearly hates any man over 40 (Thaao, Matt, Drake, Stephen, James Reynolds is a glorified day player) that isn't Shawn Christian. If he's not 40 than damn, he needs to cut back on the tanning because he looks beyond it.

Turning Nicole and Sami into heroines is dumb and not working. Though Arianne can make anything work. Ali is not good at playing a heroine. I think Sami is due for a long break, IMHO. They have no idea what to do with her and it shows. At least MarDar gave her purpose again. Sami works only when it means interacting with EJ, to waste airtime playing up the ridiculous never-ending triangle that's eating the show.

Turning Jennifer into a teenager again who's so transfixed and obsessed with Daniel isn't working. Daniel isn't working.

• Members

THIS!

I look at Will and Sonny and while I do like them, we should have been made to be more invested in them and care that their relationship could explode by Will not telling him about getting Gabi pregnant. I mean it's huge and I just don't feel the stakes raised for them. At all. I don't know. The "oomph" is missing from every storyline except Brady/Kristen/John/Marlena which is burning through so much story too soon it's ridiculous. The one good thing they have they rush and will likely ending up wasting and destroying.

Also, I'd much rather have seen a drunk, angry Brady fall for Kristen than sappy, dumb Brady. JMO. Though I still like the story regardless of my own personal idea.

Archived