Y&R: January 2013

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1,000.

Y&R is not a show about the mob, not in the Deluded Guza "love in wartime" sense. It is about the wealthy, country-club set, scions of industry, in a well-off town -- and the people who navigate around them. It is about warriors of unfettered capitalism and the things they will do to stay rich and powerful.

We don't need the mob, because sometimes the machinations behind stealing somebody's company from out from under them, or trying to destroy their life and reputation, or the slow breakdown of a wealthy wife trapped in her gilded cage -- all these things can be as bloody and destructive as a mob shoot-out.

• Members

Y&R is nowhere near as offensive as it was in 2009 and 2010, but it clearly lacks spark. Yes I like that Neil is being used more with Leslie, I like Nick and Avery in some cosmic way, the younger set is improving but there is such a long ways to go. Why are Kevin and Chloe even on this show anymore?

• Members

I don't see what the appeal of mob storylines are on soaps. Most of them in hindsight usually look over the top and ridiculous anyway. On Y&R, the elements of the mob were usually reserved for peripheral characters who didn't stick around for very long, which was a wise move as those types of stories are done well on soaps when there is a definite end in sight. Even though I barely watch Y&R, I don't like the idea of any mob/organized crime taking up residence in GC. No sir, don't like this.

• Members

Now Jana & Kevin were a genuinely quirky (I'm beginning to sour on that word quirky-lol) couple that actually worked.

How did Jana leave? I had stopped watching by the time she got involved with that kid (what's his name?), Lucy's mother's brother (or whatever his name was) so I have no idea how the character exited. They should've kept Jane on--my goodness, soaps have really stopped building characters and couples these days, haven't they?!

Archived