DAYS: January Discussion Thread

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am actually starting to like this damn Gabi storyline. If only because the Nick/Will confrontation is exactly what I wanted out of this story -- conflict over letting his child that he doesn't want because it would ruin his relationship with Sonny, being raised by a homophobe. I'm of the opinion that Nick being homophobic doesn't make him a horrible character, I think it's actually introducing what's been sorely missing on this canvas, a three-dimensional character. He doesn't have to become a mustache twirling villain, but a classic soap villain a la Roger, Craig, etc. who gets to be a part of the canvas but not be painted as a hero is a dark shading DOOL needs right now.

• Members

Well I had a litle time this holiday season to tune back into DAYS and I am so glad I did over the last few days: Eileen Davidson has been amazing! I never see Ashley Abbott when she's onscreen, she's been fabulous and the January 1 episode was sensational with Kristen really going in on John and laying it out there. When you hear Kristen explain it all, in hindsight, John wasn't innocent in the whole mess and her anger is somewhat warranted.

She reminds me of Michelle Pfeiffer when she played Catwoman in the Batman film, she is dangerous, on the edge and you cannot take your eyes off her.

Lauren Koslow, how I have missed her! I wonder if she will mix it up with homophobic Nick to defend Will and Sonny?

• Members

Unhinged Kristen has been deliously entertaining. I really hope they keep her like this though and dont push her over the edge bc she is walking a fine line. I hope she doesnt get as messed up as she was in the 90s bc I want to see her stick around

John let Kristen go 15 years ago? 15 years ago when EJ was a baby right? LOL

• Members

I have to admit that I actually like Nick. That doesn't mean that I agree w/ his homophobia. It simply means that within the universe of soaps where it's OK to wish a character dead, a woman to miscarry, or to hand waive murder or attempted murder by your favorite character, it's OK to like Nick Falon despite his Political Incorrectness. Also, I think both he and Will made very valid points in today's episode.

• Members

I wish they would stop being so specific with time. It just messes with my head too much lol

I freaking LOVE Eileen Davidson! She is has been a treat to watch! She better get her well deserved emmy this time around (not to say that this would be her reel, but I know she is going to continue to have even more scenes where she knocks that ish out the park, like when Brady finally finds out the truth during May sweeps or something lol). This entire Marlena/Kristen/John/Brady drama has been amazing this week. And I love how the writers are dragging it out for the entire week with every day having some new layer of drama (me thinks they are taking a page out of JER's book for this one).

And can they PLEASE put Lauren Koslow back into a real storyline? Has the Kate vs Sami business war been completely dropped? They keep teasing with the Nick hiring but Lauren is an amazing actress that needs a storyline. I wish they would write a good umbrella story for the rest of the characters that we hardly see.

I also agree with Ira, I am starting to like this Gabi storyline too but its only because I now have a character that I am rooting for which is Will. I am beginning to feel bad for the kid and Chandler Massey has endeared me so much to Will so now I am excited to see how this storyline plays out. By the way, how cute were he and Sonny today? They actually remind me of a real couple trying to keep a relationship together with the ups and downs of their lives. Its very relatable.

• Members

At this point in the storyline, the only person's side I'm on is the baby's because the poor kid is stuck with two idiots for bilogical parents. Neither one of them is anything to write home about. I have no sympathy for Will or Gabi.

Ugh. Hit enter by mistake...

I find Sonny and Will completely boring. The actors have no romantic chemistry. They are the equivalent of ATWT's Luke and Noah, which is anti chemistry at its best.

• Members

I'm watching Tuesdays episode now and honestly I just want to thank Sony for moving Eileen from being wasted as Ashley and sending her back to Salem. As Daytimefan said, you just can't take your eyes off of her when she's onscreen. She is easily the best part of DAYS right now...

I still hate that Koslow is being wasted but she's a delight still every time she's onscreen.

• Members

That is the real Kristen. It was compulsively watchable, incredible stuff. It's too bad DAYS has no idea how to write real or exciting stories for anything or anyone, because they could really do something great there. I have no faith in their ability to sustain that.

• Members

Eileen has been amazing. If Days fires her anytime soon I'm seriously done. She's the best thing to happen to that show since she left, IMHO.

Amazing how a little history goes a long way, right writers?

In thinking about what's wrong with this show (though I am enjoy a few parts of it, like when we get actually meaningful scenes between Will/Sonny, Nicole, Kate, Eric, John/Marlena/Brady/Kristen), and how it used to be an ensemble soap, Kate should have hired Nick already, been all up in Will and Sonny's business (for them, of course), and have Gabi pegged. Not Sami as the clueless bubbly wedding planner who's only doing it to get into Rafe's pants. Hell, Sami was practically a junior Kate so why not have her in the mix and not ... whatever it is we're getting.

I also feel like Tomsell TELL us what we're watching instead of just writing the story and playing it out, you know? Does that make sense? Like "EJ you've changed". Um, SHOW us. Same thing for Daniel. It's like they expect us to just accept things because the characters say so even if we haven't see it that way. I hate that kind of writing big time.

Show us WHY Nick is how he is now, not spring him from jail and usher him into this storyline weeks after he gets back. His return WAS working because Jessica, Hope, Julie, Maggie were all involved and with Melanie there was at least SOME history.

Despite all the things Nicole went through, I still think she should be boozing it up, snarky, bitchy but with maturity, some respect and self-awareness.

Oh, and Tomlin? Arianne and Lauren should be front and center not Melissa Reeves and Alison Sweeney. They are decent actresses when given the right material but they should NOT be leads. Reeves sure can't be right now. Maybe if it were the Jennifer I remember then yes, she could lead story again. Sami is a lead in a sense but to base a show around those two? It's clearly not happening. And no offense to either actress. I used to really love Jennifer and Sami. Shame.

• Members

I hear you and that's what I thought initially as well. But when I consider the fact that both Will and Gabi just left teen-hood like what a year or two ago? It makes sense. They are just young and stupid doing what what they think is best based on dumb traditions. What's Gabi like 19 now and will is supposed to be like what, 20 or 21 now? They are just young and not able to really to make sound decisions. I think I assign a feisable motive to all the players involved and that's why i can now tolerate the storyline:

Will: Since he is a "new gay" (pardon the expression) he hasn't really fully embraced the fact that a child doesn't have to be raised by married heterosexual parents in order to have "normalcy". He is still attached to the idea that a family HAS to have a str8 mom and a str8 dad, because that is all he knows based on his limited experience. It is also clear that Will has low self esteem, at least that is how the character is written and that's also how Chandler plays the character. He went from badass, cussin out his momma and working for the dimera's Will, back to docile pushover Will so that writers can establish that he has insecurities and low self-esteem to provide motivation for this storyline. He doesn't think he would make a good dad. He may think that because of his job situation, his messed up past, or it may be the fact that he is gay. Who knows? Will still has a lot more growth to do and I think as Will grows, it will advance the storyline.

Gabi: She just doesn't wan't to be seen as a slut and she has also "drunken" the "it takes a husband and wife to raise a family" koolaid. She is highly concerned about how things appear to others and how her brother views her so this wedding provided her with a quick solution to absolve herself from feeling a teen slut mom with no husband. She knows she needs help with this baby and is terrified to death of not being able to provide a proper home for the child, so the Nick factor works out perfectly and she is desperate to keep that going.

Nick: He is desperately trying to shake off his "criminal" image. People treated him horribly when he first came to Salem so this is his way of getting an insta-family so that he can be seen as an upstanding citizen again. This is also why he is now considering high position job offers that Kate and Sami are throwing his way. He is determined to APPEAR as an upstanding citizen again. He also is a little obsessive compulsive and controlling with Gabi because he is one of the possessions he needs to turn his life around. I truly don't believe he loves her as much as he thinks he does. He loves the idea of being married more that he loves her. He also doesn't want a gay man to raise a child, because I guess, that's just wrong in his view.

Since this show has practically gone to the toilet for a while now, the only way I can really enjoy it is to create some sort of back story or motivation in my mind so that what these characters are doing actually makes some semblance of sense. If I don't do that then I would never EVER enjoy this show (except for when we have freakingtastic Kristen wreaking havoc in Marlena, John, and Brady's lives of course! lol)

Archived