Serial Drama's Best and Worst of 2012

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I couldn't agree more with this if I tried:

Worst Character Turnaround of the Year
Johnny Zacharra, General Hospital

Oh, Johnny. Johnny, Johnny, Johnny. It was not a good year for him. His relationship with Carly did not generate the heat necessary for the stakes to be particularly high in his year-long story arc that started with Johnny accidentally killing Cole and Hope, deliberately killing Anthony, sexing up a mentally ill woman who he later coerced into taking the fall for crimes he committed, and then being blackmailed by Connie into marriage (and I mean, are we supposed to be feeling bad for him after all that?). Brandon Barash has done great work, but it's hard for it to have much of an impact when the character brought it all on himself and the end never seems to be in sight. Hey, Mr. Carlivati, we know you know better than to have a man who looks like that on screen and not take advantage of it!

Johnny Zacharra = Robert Ford

I also agree about LW's hair. If it's possible to be obsessed with anyone's hair, hers is it.

There were some other decent listings. Didn't see the pipe job listing that Fairman wrote up, so that was good.

• Members

Love this one too:

Worst Triangle
Hope/Liam/Steffy, The Bold & the Beautiful

(This selection was a shocker, right?) It's hard to really find anything new to say about this torturous triangle, since 95% of Serial Drama's B&B coverage this year consisted of ranting and railing against these three and their endless, show-devouring merry-go-round of stupidity and inanity (BECAUSE THERE WAS ACTUALLY NOTHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT). It's not just that months went by where this was literally the only storyline going (and I mean "literal" in the LITERAL way and not the figurative way it's now trendy to use "literally"). It's not just that dozens of adults on canvas were inexplicably obsessed with what these youngsters were up to in their love lives. And it's not just that Liam is such an utter douchenozzle who deserves no woman at all, much less two gorgeous women battling it out over him, it's that these people are way too young to be in a storyline that's all about who's going to walk down the aisle together. Did your fiancée break off the engagement? Better get another one before nightfall! Did your date postpone? Better make out with someone else! Is someone walking toward you in a terrifying bridal get-up? I guess you have no choice but to marry!

• Members

Days got worst soap

Worst Show
Days of Our Lives

Yeesh.

Oh, we should probably offer more of an explanation than that, shouldn't we?

We're still watching Days, if by "watching" you mean "dutifully DVRing and watching every episode without paying attention to a single moment because the show is so dull that it's literally impossible for your mind not to wander while it's on". Bo is gone. Hope has no Bo and is pathologically annoying. Nick is back and horrible. Daniel and Jennifer are painful to watch. EJ, Rafe, and Sami are stuck in a horrifying loop of repetion, with only increasingly poor writing differentiating their stories from those of years past. Not even Kristen's return has raised the interest a little and Kristen, quite frankly, owned Mallory during her earliest soap watching years, so the fact that even that fell flat is as scathing an indictment as we can come up with.

Yeesh.

Archived