Michael Fairman's Best and Worst of 2012

• Members

+1 +1 +1 +1

All My Children's finale was IMO true to the show. Their cliffhanger was of course J.R. shooting at someone. That was for Prospect Park. If they would have known before they wrapped up production that it would be a year and a half before Prospect Park even tried to resurrect the shows then I'm sure that they wouldn't have added that scene and would have wrapped the show up completely. AMC's finale was good. I however did not like OLTL's finale. What was the point of Destiney giving birth on the couch in the Buchanan mansion? OLTL's final episode just felt awkward. That may offend some OLTL fans but I really don't care. The fact that OLTL in it's final year was held to a higher standard than AMC and GH and the fact that many critics and fans "Just couldn't believe OLTL was being cancelled because it is just so good" really drove me crazy. Many people kept referring to OLTL's "ratings being up" but they weren't up that much and they weren't impressive ratings either. I just don't understand why people acted like and still do act like OLTL was the best show on T.V. because it's stories weren't that great.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly agreed. I just read one other site, but forget which one, which voted the OLTL finale as the best and said it contained "no WTF and completely out of character shock endings like that horrible gun shot at the end of AMC." While we know that was added at the last minute, the finale for AMC frankly seemed much more in character (old characters celebrating, some feuds and long standing fights coming back again, etc--even JR's shot which we had been leading up to from his character for some time), and I did enjoy a LOT of the last two *weeks* of OLTL, I don't know how anyone can seriously say the final episode and that cliffhanger with OLTL was not an equal, if not far more WTF moment (albeit I suppose it was true to Carlivati's writing...)

As anyone here with a brain knows I'm a huge OLTL fan--watched it steadily for nearly 20 years, although I have always admitted my first bias is towards my first show AMC. That said, the fansite and soap press pimping of OLTL's last year (as DOOL says, all that stuff about "it's SOO good, how is this masterpiece being canceled!!") for me personally made me look at the show actually with harsher eyes and see a lot of stuff I didn't find so masterful. In other words, for me it backfired even if somehow it did seem to convince some others.

• Members

Destiny giving birth on the couch? WTF did they make her pregnant? So she could pop up once every trimester to remind us that she was? It was the dumbest pregnancy storyline ever, especially when the baby daddy is comatose for 6 months. It was a classic case of Cartini not having a [!@#$%^&*] clue!

Archived