Retcons and Rewrites

• Members

Y&R - Daisy and Ryder as Sheila's kids via Terrible Tom - Sheila and Tom met for the first time in 2005 and as far as I can recall were not intimate. She definitely wasn't pregnant at anytime in the months following his death. Yet years later we learn she had his adult children years earlier. WTF? None of that even made sense

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R

Dru's RAPE

Lily's paternity

Nathan's death

Jill is Katherine's daughter

Paul & Todd

CANE

Ronan is Nina's son
Chloe is Kate

Adam & Skye past

Heather being abused

Danny being an absentee father

Lauren being afraid of Sheila

RELIQUARY

Everything to do with Susan & Maura's Diane's

St. Giggly's attempted murder of Cricket & Paul

• Members

I'd forgotten about the Heather abuse one.

What was the Paul and Todd one?

The worst part of Adam/Skye is that it was rewritten multiple times. Phyllis interviewed people who said that the man who "examined" an unconscious Ashley on Adam's orders was a molester, and then, after this, the show said nope, he'd never touched women that way, Skye had just made this up to blackmail him.

• Members

I think the show would have been in about the same boat, as Reilly's writing just didn't seem quite right the second time around. That was a very dark story but I don't know what the outcome could have been, especially since they would have needed another coput reason for Marlena being the killer. (clone, possession, whatever)

• Members

Oh, yes, Maryanne Carruthers. Someone JUST had to go and mention that.

1. Alan Spaulding, circa 1977 (yes, they actually gave us a YEAR for that atrocity of a story) NEVER would have mixed with peasants such as Ed Bauer and Buzz Cooper. He wasn't mixing with peasants until he married Jackie Marler and then Hope Bauer (who was the love of his life he never recognized until it was too late).

2. Alan Spaulding, circa 1977, was well into his THIRTIES with a marriage of nearly a decade under his belt and a seven-year old son, not some beer-swilling seventeen-year old who looked suspiciously like SHAYNE LEWIS (come on, with REVA as his mother, it's believable) who, again, was hanging with the Lewis brothers, Buzz Cooper, and Ed Bauer.

3. Where the hell was MIKE BAUER in this? Oh, yeah, he and the substantially-older-than-seventeen Ed were dealing with the return of the dead BILL BAUER. Wasn't Ed already raising Christina with Holly at this point?

4. Glad to see Buzz Cooper flew into Springfield to check on Frank and Harley at some point in the late seventies. Oh, wait, he DIDN'T! He showed up for FOUNDERS DAY (which had never occured before and never occured again) to hang with Alan Spaulding, the Lewis boys, and Ed Bauer and have the exact same storyline that Henry Chamberlain, HB Lewis, Brandon Spaulding (another WTF storyline because of the peasants involved), Bill Bauer, and Tom Reardon got themselves into when they all took a fishing trip together.

5. I forget whether Trish or Josh was the first Lewis to hit Springfield, but it was one after the other, I believe, and then a bit later, in came HB, Billy, Mindy, Reva, and all the others. Ain't no way the Lewis brothers were seventeen years old in 1977. They were probably closer to that age than Ed, Alan, and Buzz, but still. No cigar.

So all these guys happened to be hanging around together and got a girl killed.

Then their daughters/nieces/granddaughters all turned against them without even ASKING them about it.

WHAT THE F**K were TPTB THINKING?

• Members

I think there was a Founder's Day in 1984, although that was a one-off (I wonder if Susan Piper was there...)

Trish was the first. Josh was probably in his early twenties at the least in 1977.

The Eli story must have been a stretch too - the idea that Bill Bauer was friends with HB and Henry. But at least that was a little more plausible.

I guess we should also mention the 1977 (what a year!) rewrite that Bill Bauer had let everyone believe he was dead and was living with a woman in Alaska. This apparently caused big fan rage at the time.

I think people just don't give a [!@#$%^&*].

Terrible writing. Connie is a slutty wild child who is a perfect shot, yet is also an innocent virgin whose rape caused her to become...exactly what she was described as being before the rape.

• Members

I loved Marshall and I thought the actor was great, and I thought doing a he said/she said with a black couple was very gutsy. It was the execution of it which was appalling and made it necessary for Marshall to be written out. If they had written that storyline well it coulda been one of the best soap storylines of all time IMO but it was a total abortion as most ATWT storylines were in that era.

• Members

I'm still enraged with that Bill Bauer not really dead thing.

Bill wasn't perfect, not by any means. He was a womanizer, an alcoholic, most likely a low achiever who forever needed propping from those who loved him.

But, I'm sorry, look at the woman he was married to for most of that marriage and tell me you wouldn't be driven to seek some sort of comfort elsewhere! Bert Bauer did become a truly remarkable woman, a friend to anyone who needed one, the true "guiding light" of Guiding Light, but her husband was all that while she was a nagging, selfish, judgmental shrew. It wasn't until she overheard her equally judgmental jerkass of a son lambasting Bill for breaking up their family that she realized that she bore a small part of the responsibility for Bill's actions and, to her credit, learned from the experience.

Now, I can't recall off the top of my head any time Bill was actually discussed by anyone after his actual death (one last indignity for a flawed yet good man), but I'm sure if Ed ever talked about him, it was negative.

• Members

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CarlD2" data-cid="1162448" data-time="1356932213"><p>

I think there was a Founder's Day in 1984, although that was a one-off (I wonder if Susan Piper was there...)<br />

<br />

<br />

Trish was the first. Josh was probably in his early twenties at the least in 1977.<br />

<br />

The Eli story must have been a stretch too - the idea that Bill Bauer was friends with HB and Henry. But at least that was a little more plausible.<br />

<br />

I guess we should also mention the 1977 (what a year!) rewrite that Bill Bauer had let everyone believe he was dead and was living with a woman in Alaska. This apparently caused big fan rage at the time.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

I think people just don't give a [&#33;@#&#036;%^&amp;*].<br />

<br />

Makes perfect sense :)

• Members

That's not even getting into the "Are you sure Joe Jr. raped Connie? He's a good man!" stuff that started until he was offed.

I do wonder if anyone mentioned Bill Bauer after his passing. I don't even think he was mentioned at Hillary's funeral.

Archived