Worst Parent & Child Relationships in Soaps

• Members

Not sure if this belongs here, but I was watching a Rifleman marathon this morning, and I saw the weirdest thing. Mark,the son, who had to be about 13 or 14, sees his pa after being separated for about 24 hours, and he runs to Lucas, jumps in his arms and straddles him. Lucas, being the big guy that he was, carried Mark across the room and sits him on the counter at the local merchant's. I know they had a really close father/son relationship, but that gave me the freaking heebies.

Yes, this was in 1959, but damn! Mark was too damn old for that. In 2012, that scene was all kinds of wrong. Sometimes, their relationship bugged me, but that one was just too much!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know I'm getting off topic here, too, but Andrea, that reminded me of an episode of Family Affair where Jody is jealous of his friend getting spanked, because he thinks that it means his father loves him but Uncle Bill doesn't. I swear I'm not making that up. It would be positively bizarre to see that today.

Anyway, topic:

Sonny and his litter of kids on GH? My brain is freezing up right now otherwise.

• Members

I'm surprised no one's brought up Lily & Lucinda on ATWT. Actually, make that Lily and both her mothers. Lucinda was an obnoxious, smothering mother, obsessed with being number one in Lily's life---over any man or the passel of family members Lily clung to. Lily was a condescending snot to both Lucinda and Iva (more so Lucinda, who plotted endlessly, but got her licks in on Iva whenever that poor woman had the misfortune of crossing over the little harridan's moral line) and managed to play both of them against each other for years. And the way Iva sacrificed herself for that girl---all because of the guilt she had over being raped and "giving away" a child at 13/14---was unhealthy to say the least.

• Members

I always felt like Lucinda wasn't as bad to Lily as Lily claimed - probably the worst was lying about Holden being in a hospital in New York.

Iva/Lily was a disturbing relationship, yes, although the show didn't seem to dwell on that, even though they probably should have. The show sort of romanticized Iva's sacrificing for Lily, especially in the Aaron story, which, looking back, they probably shouldn't have.

Archived