I wish soaps still did primetime specials.

• Members

So, I was watching classic Y&R clips on YouTube and I came across this --->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxP46jpOmV8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgfHtamzFPs

It was so weird seeing the show go on location as well as use the single camera technique, instead of the usual multi-cam set up and fake sets. I then realised that it was a primetime special, meaning that the budget was higher. I liked how everything felt more intense and darker. I think it made the storyline more gripping.

I was wondering why ABC, NBC and CBS stopped doing primetime specials. Sure, the ratings for soaps aren't as high like they were during the 80s and 90s but during the hiatus of the primetime shows (NCIS, The Voice, Greys Anatomy etc.), the networks could air hour-long specials.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not to get into a big debate over the dying light of soaps, because I stopped caring about that in 2010, but I do agree that I wish they'd have a few specials. In some cases, like ABC, the ratings likely would be about the same as much of their current lineup.

• Members

Days is the main one I see with primetime promos, though less and less. ABC hasn't had one since I can even remember. Which is idiotic--why advertise soaps during other soaps? Chances are either the viewers (this was back in the day...) already follow your full soap lineup, or at least are aware of it, or have one show they watch at lunch or tape and won't pick up another one anyway.

• Members

I makes little sense to me as well, especially since the networks keep trying to find cheap programming on certain nights. An episode of a soap is hella cheap and since most are already HD, they wouldn't have to give them much to put a primetime episode together. Another option, for DAYS they could always air an episode on Bravo after one of their Real Housewives episodes. They could do a tie in by casting a Real Housewife on the show, say Nene from ATL, then have a big primetime episode after RHOA and then WWHL. It could be a nice event and a way for Bravo to kick off it's scripted programming.

• Members

Yeah, when it comes to primetime promos, DAYS is the first and only soap that comes to mind (and that goes back to the days of watching The Fresh Prince of Bel Air). In '93, ABC had a soaps promo, bumper really, that I remember seeing a couple of times in primetime. It was very short, but very lovely. Shots of Erica in that infamous red jacket with the frog closures and black Persian lamb trim, Viki in a mink coat, and the raw, non-digitized footage of Luke and Laura's Faces of the Heart opening credits shot. The original had a slow moody version of the ABC tune, and then I saw it a couple more times with an "exciting" upbeat version of the tune which lacked the soul and heartstrings tugging quality of the first. Both versions ended with an announcer, "The American Broadcasting Company, A-B-C."

• Members

Yeah, DAYS and Y&R get promos every now and then, but I feel like it shouldn't just be every now and then that they're promoted in primetime. I don't care how sh!tty the shows are. If the networks want them to succeed, they need to promote the hell out of them. They don't seem to have as much trouble promoting their non-soap daytime programming.

Archived