Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

DAYS: NABET crew members (audio/lighting/video depts.) have been laid off

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 JAS0N47

JAS0N47

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

"DAYS" NABET-CWA CREW MEMBERS SET TO BE LAID OFF:

News is coming out that the "Days" NABET-CWA Local 53 crew members have been laid off, effective December 31. NABET comprises most of the positions in the audio, lighting and video departments. Many are long-time veterans of the show. Of the group, technical directors Mike Caruso & J.C. O'Neill have been with the show the longest, since the early 1980's. Lighting director Ted Polmanski and cameramen John Sizemore and Mike Mecartea joined the show full-time after "Santa Barbara" was cancelled in 1992. Jackie Frazier, who "Days" had write a few episodes from 2001-2003, has been a boom operator with the show since the mid-1990's. Overall, the NABET crew members were responsible for 35 of 212 Daytime Emmy nominations that the show has received through the years.

In happier times, here was NABET's advertisement, congratulating "Days" on its 30th anniversary in 1995: http://www.jason47.c...images/hr19.JPG

Here are some quotes regarding the planned layoffs, from the October 29, 2012 edition of The Burbank Leader:

More than 175 employees at entertainment-related companies in Burbank likely will be laid off starting in December...studio representatives said.

NBCUniversal issued 50 layoff notices effective Dec. 31, according to the state. The employees — who primarily fill technical and operations positions — are represented by the National Assn. of Broadcast Employees and Technicians - Communications Workers of America, Local 53.

Union president Steve Ross said NBCUniversal officials are saying the workers aren’t needed because the company no longer owns the studio lot in Burbank, which it sold in 2007. Some of the air-conditioning and building-services workers have been hired by the lot’s new owner, Ross said. However, production staffers who work on “Days of Our Lives” are still in limbo, he added.

Ross said he has filed grievances against NBCUniversal over the layoffs. “I don’t agree with what they’re doing,” he said.

http://articles.burb...isney-employees

Edited by JAS0N47, 12 December 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#2 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

DAYS is already the worst produced show on daytime, I can't imagine how it's going to look with this fuckery.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, 12 December 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#3 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

DAYS is alreay the worst produced show on daytime, I can't imagine how it's going to look with this fuckery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyl8jGOV7Aw

and that's if we're lucky!

Edited by beebs, 12 December 2012 - 02:08 AM.

#4 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,701 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

We posted that at the exact same time. Peapack never dies Posted Image

Edited by CarlD2, 12 December 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#5 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bfwvQS6BJI

Great minds think alike!

#6 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

I have to wonder if some of these people weren't let go long ago. DAYS has some of the worst lighting and audio known to man.

#7 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,722 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

I can not believe Days is still leasing the studio space, honestly. Its too bad they cant get a better, newer studo at universal. You would think being an NBC/Uni show they could get a cheaper rate, then again with sony and corday as owners ya never know.

Anyways, this is sad news all around. I know most of thre crew have been there longer than most of the cast and they are all very close.

#8 sungrey

sungrey

Longing for a return to the old DAYS.

• Members
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

This stinks. You have to wonder if the news that Days was going to stay where it was (at NBC) was a curse rather than a blessing. Nothing else tapes on that lot except Days and Jay Leno, right?

#9 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,722 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

This stinks. You have to wonder if the news that Days was going to stay where it was (at NBC) was a curse rather than a blessing. Nothing else tapes on that lot except Days and Jay Leno, right?

Days, Jay Leno, Last Call, Access Hollywood, NBC 4 News, and i think a few lots are leased out to other productions.

#10 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,627 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

"DAYS" NABET-CWA CREW MEMBERS SET TO BE LAID OFF:

News is coming out that the "Days" NABET-CWA Local 53 crew members have been laid off, effective December 31. NABET comprises most of the positions in the audio, lighting and video departments. Many are long-time veterans of the show. Of the group, technical directors Mike Caruso & J.C. O'Neill have been with the show the longest, since the early 1980's. Lighting director Ted Polmanski and cameramen John Sizemore and Mike Mecartea joined the show full-time after "Santa Barbara" was cancelled in 1992. Jackie Frazier, who "Days" had write a few episodes from 2001-2003, has been a boom operator with the show since the mid-1990's. Overall, the NABET crew members were responsible for 35 of 212 Daytime Emmy nominations that the show has received through the years.

That sucks. I hate to see long time employees depart. It's going to be weird to not see their names in the DAYS credits anymore.

#11 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Are they planning to ship the show to Mexico next?

#12 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

These things always suck but I especially hate seeing this happen at the holidays. I understand the accounting reasons for it but it's still awful.

#13 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyl8jGOV7Aw

THAT IS NOT FUNNY.

(Okay, it is. But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like hell.)

#14 Khan

Khan

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Are they planning to ship the show to Mexico next?

Look on the bright side: if they start taping in Mexico, Shawn Christian can get his tan from the real sun and not an artificial one.

This stinks.

You bet it does. It's also the last nail in DAYS' coffin.

#15 Khan

Khan

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Its too bad they cant get a better, newer studo at universal.

Same. Just think: if DAYS had moved to Universal, and if Compact Video still were around, it'd "look" a lot like those NBC sitcoms from the '80's (i.e., "Diff'rent Strokes," "Facts of Life," "Silver Spoons," etc.). That would have been awesome.

#16 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Yeah. I think it's just a matter now of waiting for the announcement.

#17 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Wait: Who the [!@#$%^&*] is going to crew this show? Josh Taylor and Bryan Dattillo?

In other news, that music video just brings so much [!@#$%^&*] back.

Edited by Vee, 12 December 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#18 DramatistDreamer

DramatistDreamer

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Yeah. I think it's just a matter now of waiting for the announcement.

Sorry to say but I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this announcement. NBC has been terrific at decimating every last one of its Daytime soaps, show by show over the last few decades. Days would be the piece de resistance.

Edited by DramatistDreamer, 12 December 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#19 Khan

Khan

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Wait: Who the [!@#$%^&*] is going to crew this show? Josh Taylor and Bryan Dattillo?

Well, it's not like they don't have much time on their hands.

#20 DaytimeFan

DaytimeFan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I agree this is the final nail in DAYS' coffin. The ratings are bad, the studio space is leased, the crew's been laid off...

I just hope Lauren Koslow is on the phone NOW with her agent to get a meeting with Brad Bell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users