A soap was actually brought back after cancellation.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both Edge of Night and Search For Tomorrow were canceled by CBS before ABC and NBC picked them up respectively.

I don't know where that "no soap was ever brought back after cancellation" myth comes from.

Again though, that was a different era and one that's bears no significance or relevance to today's world.

• Members

SuBe wasn't cancelled but pulled for a few weeks to be retooled for the better. Ultimately, it didn't help. I see absolutely no reason why a miniseries-like one week run of AMC or OLTL wouldn't do well one summer. Soap fans are so thirsty at this point, they'd do better now than ever.

• Members

Why do a one week mini series for OLTL or AMC and have to pay the actors a ton of money when you can do a miniseries with newbies though. Just thinking from a business perspective.

Passions got canceled, got picked up and got canceled again by the end of the year after DirectTv got new subscribers for a more recent example.

• Members

Sure, why not? But you don't necessarily have to pay the former stars big money. They can't expect to make what they were making, and they can always turn it down if that's such an issue for them. But the lure of seeing one's favorite characters on their favorite cancelled story again is what such a project would be riding on. Even a newbie soap has to have something to clinch, usually in the form of a couple bankable actors.

• Members

I really do not think it will be that much money, there was an article on Deadline last year about how AMC/OLTL cost $750,000-$1 million to produce a week's worth of episodes. That is incredibily cheap compared to one episode of a primetime show. I don't think it would hurt the network's pockets.

• Webmaster

Cost isn't a factor if the revenue outweighs that cost. $750,000-$1 Million may not sound like much when compared to a primetime show, but when your intake isn't that much above your cost, why bother? The rate for a 30 second ad during Nikita is about $30,000. General Hospital gets about $8,000. That's a huge difference, especially for a show that takes up 5 timeslots a week compared to 1 timeslot for a show that is way behind the daytime show in ratings and demos.

• Members

Especially in the case of a short run series that would have to focus on a smaller cast, maybe even as little as ten characters. Essentially, what you'd be looking at is: Will Susan do it? Yes? Great. Now what do we build around that?

• Members

Any new soap project would essentially be a Valentine to the fans, so I wouldn't blame TPTB for trying to make it as cost effective as possible. It's still possible to deliver a quality product on a shoe string, especially if you manage to build a team of talented, creative people who know how to dazzle on a dime (theatre folk are pros at this). I can definitely understand the "why bother?" argument because all too often, we've seen how these things are poorly conceived. I have great faith in the potential of such projects, less faith in the usual soap suspects who would most likely get hired for the job.

Archived