Paul Rauch has passed away

• Members

http://abc.soapsindepth.com/2012/12/paul-rauch-passes-away.html

Sadly, legendary daytime producer Paul Rauch has passed away. He produced ANOTHER WORLD from 1972 to 1982, then ONE LIFE TO LIVE (1983 to 1991), SANTA BARBARA (1991-1993) and GUIDING LIGHT (1996-2002). His most recent work was as executive producer for THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS from 2008 to 2011.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He's one of those people I thought would be around forever.

His career and legacy have been hashed over many, many times, but he certainly won't be forgotten for a long time. He was of that big budget era, and for his many, many flaws, I do think he passionately cared about the genre, at least from AW to GL stints.

• Members

This is a huge, huge loss to the soap community regardless of how you felt about him. He was around for some huge soap moments and is a part of soap history. I remember being shocked when he was announced as EP on Y&R due mostly to his age, but I think the show was better off having someone experienced around. The time between his exit and JFP's arrival felt like there was nobody guiding the ship.

My condolences to his family and friends.

• Members

This is sad and also eery how many of these soap writers and producers are dying in bunches. And despite Rauch's reputation (not going to check the reactions of some former soap stars to this announcement), his passing makes me wonder whether there are any new soap producers in the making these days. I wondered this with the announcements of the deaths of some former soap writers as well. I had a moment in Grad school when I thought about it but dismissed it pretty quickly as I saw where the genre seemed to be heading.

• Members

Oh wow, may he rest in peace. My condolences to his wife Israela and to the rest of his family and friends.

I saw some photos of him last year and I was concerned about his health. I hope he didn't suffer. He will go down as one of the most legendary, and legendarily controversial executive producers in soap history.

Archived