GH: Felix controversy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I happen to agree with his point about Felix. And with Patrick Mulcahey's points as well about gay characters in the comments section - frankly nothing ever seems to be enough for some people, and frankly most of the time those people are self-righteous str8 women viewers as opposed to actual gay men.

I think the way Ron delivers his point, however, is - as it has been before - tin-eared, self-righteous and self-pitying. I just remember the same tone being applied to other, legitimate criticisms of GH or OLTL which I agreed with (unlike this one). Often Ron can be very reasonable in live interviews or whatever, but when he is faced with immediate criticism outside a structured environment he just seems to turn into a thin-skinned kid. Like, I'm sorry, but it's a little late to keep stumping for Robert Ford or whatever else.

• Members

He was specifically addressing an audience that had harshly criticized him and the character -- a mostly non-soap audience, which is why he felt the need to establish his bona fides when it comes to gay characters.

You may have seen largely positive feedback, but I can tell you that the writer and the character were absolutely savaged on a number of gay boards.

• Members

The problem is that most of those people won't have any idea what he's talking about, and throwing around GLAAD, which is hated by many in the gay community, won't help. He should have just summed up his goal for the character instead of spending so much time congratulating himself.

• Members

So he'll address negative feedback coming in from outside the soap audience but actively troll his viewers on Twitter. Noted.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for the actor playing this character. He thought he just got himself a job but it looks like he's going to be the latest sacrifice to the Ron Carlivati Ego Machine.

• Members

This controversy is such "bullshit", I was reading Towleroad when they first posted asbout it, and all the comments were just completely puzzling and offputing. He just offered the bitch lipstick! They acted like he pulled out a boa, and proceeded to recite every line as some witty and biting comeback

Jesus Christ, whenever there is a gay character that can be perceived as a "stereotype" the same damn tired chorus comes out humming and drumming about how "Oh this will set us back", "why can't we have normal gay characters", "not all gay guys are a stereotype" etc etc. And I am so damn tired of it. Point me to the stereotypical gay characters on soaps right now? US? UK? Wherever? There are like none, and frankly, you know just because one can fall into a stereotype doesn't mean people like him doesn't exist, so why should they be brushed under the rug to make these people who so fear what society may think.

People, especially the gay men who are complaining about the character, want everything completely whitewashed, completely heteronormative, and in line with everyone else. Poor them.

I hope he is a giant walking stereotype, with all the bells and whistle just to piss off those Towleroad readers, who are always complaining, even more. I have no doubt he will be an awful character, because awful is all RC seems to be doing lately, but it won't be because he has "stereotypical" qualities.

ETA: I just read RC's comments, and he hit the nail on the head. He earned at least some points in my book.

• Members

I went and watched these scenes on YouTube after reading about the "controversy," and I actually think the actor is quite good. That he's playing a LGBT character of color is a bonus in my book. I could care less if he's "effeminate," and I don't see how being a nurse could possibly be seen as a negative stereotype.

Even if Felix were a drag queen and that was why he had lipstick with him, I would be fine with that. Or, if the point were to let the Sabrina character (and the audience) assume that gay men would naturally have lipstick on hand to play fairy godmother to a random straight woman who needs a fashion makeover, only to blow that assumption out of the water a few days later by showing he had another, unexpected reason to have that lipstick, then that's fine, too.

That said, I do hope that the reason the character carries cosmetics around with him that is to be revealed tomorrow isn't that he has recently begun wearing a Justus Ward mask and needs to do touch-ups, or something along those lines... Which is to say that this show is at best all over the map right now, and certainly doesn't have the credibility as far as sensitively handling real-life issues that it did when the Nurses Ball first was introduced nearly two decades ago. I think people have reason to be apprehensive.

I also have to say that I don't think the head writer of a national TV show should tell (potential) viewers to "go away and leave me alone" in a public forum. We're all human, but that kind of outburst would have been better directed at his bosses a few years back when they mandated a mass purge of about 5(?) of those 6 LGBT characters that he cited (along with nearly all of the black characters, I might add), and said on the record that they didn't think the audience they were looking for wanted to see characters like that. Really, that GLAAD award that RC touted was barely back from the engraver's when all of that went down. I had real hopes for Valentini and Carlivati at that time, and what was left to command the majority of airtime after those characters were sent packing made it easy for me to give up on OLTL until its last few episodes. I'm not saying I blame RC for trying to preserve his job, but it's a little late for a writer who at best turned a blind eye to a situation like that (and actually took a second job with those same employers) to go all "Network" on posters on Towleroad, of all people, now.

But hey, I'll see how this goes, and unless and until TPTB screw this up, I can only be glad Felix is here.

• Members

There's plenty of other things in his work to take Ron to task for - the piling-on of something like this, which is just unfair, actually makes me angry.

Whatever his other faults, he's always taken pains to show a vast spectrum of GLBT characters of many types. How dare he show a flamboyant homosexual man in 2012 - though they still exist - when virtually every other American network show has no idea how to do that without hyperventilating and running away or treating them with active contempt (Ryan Murphy)?

Archived