Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

GH: Felix controversy

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 ghfan89

ghfan89

Recurring

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

GENERAL HOSPITAL Head Writer Ron Carlivati Responds To Criticism of Felix Character

http://www.welovesoa...writer-ron.html

#2 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 39,884 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

http://boards.soapop...d/page__st__840

#3 Antoyne

Antoyne

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I actually didn't mind Ron's response and actually agreed that all this judgement based on ONE episode the character has appeared in was a bit much.

#4 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Maybe I would care more if I felt Carlivati was a strong character writer and could write characters with some actual depth and complexity. But he's not and this problem extends beyond Felix.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, 08 December 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#5 psychofan

psychofan

#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!!

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

I'm sure the haters will be rushing to bash Carlivati momentarily, so I will just say that I'm proud of him for sticking up for his work. It is so easy for everyone to tear down the things that he does and nit pick it dry. I'm glad that he appears to not let all of the bashers get him down because truthfully, no matter what he does, those who oppose him will never be happy.

#6 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I kind of like the whole thing about stirring up controversy. It may entice more people to tune in. This kind of reminds me of people's reaction to All My Children's Zarf/Zoe character.

#7 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

And we saw how well that turned out.

#8 Antoyne

Antoyne

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Zara/Zoe was a disaster.

#9 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Yes I know. I think the story could have had potential if it would have been written by Lorraine Broderick/Agnes Nixon or another critically acclaimed writer like Michael Malone. Either way I like Felix and I support Carlivati for standing up for the character and he is right he has represented the Gay/Lesbian audience on daytime TV since he began his head writing career.

#10 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYONCE

• Members
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'm sure the haters will be rushing to bash Carlivati momentarily, so I will just say that I'm proud of him for sticking up for his work. It is so easy for everyone to tear down the things that he does and nit pick it dry. I'm glad that he appears to not let all of the bashers get him down because truthfully, no matter what he does, those who oppose him will never be happy.

+1.

#11 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Poor put upon Ron Carlivati...PUKE!

This controversy is in his head! People will watch GH if it's good so no need to drum up chit based on a few [!@#$%^&*] tweets!

He has yet to address his blatant disregard for black characters! Did I miss that in print?

GMAFB! Some are so easily duped!

#12 Antoyne

Antoyne

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm not duped by the lack of black characters, I just don't see the big deal out of Felix. I don't need every gay on a soap to have a coming out story. It was actually refreshing to see a character just like my friends.

#13 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm not even talking about the lack of black characters this time. I'm just wondering why Ron hasn't addressed it because, trust me, it has been mentioned to them on numerous occasions. I didn't see Felix, so I don't have much to say about the character, but from what I've seen on a few sites, the response has been mostly positive, so Ron feeling compelled to address the controversy is bull!

This is nothing more than Ron patting himself on the back for something that is really no big deal at all. if nothing else, he's one clever hump!

#14 SFK

SFK

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

I missed his intro this week as well but decided to look it up on YouTube this morning after reading all of the hubbub.

This is it so far:

#15 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

During my career, I have brought no fewer than six gay characters to daytime television: male, female, Black, White, Hispanic...all shapes and sizes. I have written coming out stories, gay bashing stories, gay marriage stories, gay parenting stories and gay love stories. I wrote the first love scene between two gay men that ever aired on daytime TV. I won a GLADD award for these stories.

Is he "defending" this story or just looking for an opportunity to pat himself on the back? Does he know that many in the gay community consider GLAAD to be nothing more than an excuse for endless fundraising dinners and a way for Hollywood to pretend they aren't anti-gay (including handing Grey's Anatomy an award at the height of covering up for ugly homophobic behavior backstage)? Does he really want to bring up that gay bashing story, which told viewers that gay bashing is a handy way to scheme to get a boyfriend?

This whole thing seems like overkill. I get the feeling that he himself regrets a little of that scene and feels defensive.

He's become very very Ryan Murphy. No thanks.

#16 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,348 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Call me a hater or basher, whatever. I can't deal with him patting himself on the back for writing sh!tty "stories." Do I agree with his point? Yes, absolutely. Was it necessary for him to sing a Song of Myself to prove it? Hell no, but this is what Ronald does.

Edited by All My Shadows, 09 December 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#17 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Half or more of what he says is about his past masterworks. He barely even addresses the criticism. It just makes me feel like there was apparently no defense.

#18 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Why does Ron need a defense for a character who, overall, has received positive feedback and has only aired once?

This is Ron saying "look at me...I'm doing something really cool and I need you to notice".

What a clown!

#19 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

I happen to agree with his point about Felix. And with Patrick Mulcahey's points as well about gay characters in the comments section - frankly nothing ever seems to be enough for some people, and frankly most of the time those people are self-righteous str8 women viewers as opposed to actual gay men.

I think the way Ron delivers his point, however, is - as it has been before - tin-eared, self-righteous and self-pitying. I just remember the same tone being applied to other, legitimate criticisms of GH or OLTL which I agreed with (unlike this one). Often Ron can be very reasonable in live interviews or whatever, but when he is faced with immediate criticism outside a structured environment he just seems to turn into a thin-skinned kid. Like, I'm sorry, but it's a little late to keep stumping for Robert Ford or whatever else.

#20 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Black in the Day Soapy Goodness

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

You're making too much sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users