Surprise! Soap Opera Ratings Bubble Up

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I don't understand is that for the past 3 or so years television experts have predicted the death of soap operas. Right after Passions was handed the pink slip by NBC a television expert said that he expected three or more could be cancelled in the next few years, and he was right. We lost As the World Turns, Guiding Light, All My Children and One Life to Live. Now all of sudden you have them saying that they expect to see a resurgence of soap operas. This really kind of come out of nowhere.

• Members

That's why I asked if something specific is happening that's set these particular members of the soap press into spin mode. Although it looks like we just have a case of everybody "reporting" the same thing. Is it the fact that the PP license on OLTL runs out next month and suddenly Brigadoon can come out of the mist again?

• Members

I'd like to be a fly on the wall during the meeting(s) where the subject of these reports comes up. I'm sure TPTP won't give them too much credence. I think a perfect compromise for network and fans, and a great, ultimately rewarding experiment for ABCD would be a summer special. This could take form in any number of ways. For the sake of this argument, I'm going to leave AMC out of the mix for now. But say on a Friday afternoon, they preempted the rerun of The Chew and did a special 2hr GH that started in Llanview and let John deal with all his Liam drama with an actual kid playing Liam and Melissa Archer as Natalie, featuring Erika Slezak and JVD. On top of that, we have Todd with Tea and Blair, Tomas drama, special guest TSJ with some fun new Victor revelation thrown in. Even mix of Port Charles drama. I bet they'd get great numbers for a Friday afternoon compared to a damn Chew rerun, and FV could get it done on a budget.

• Members

You're not a party pooper at all! Ideally, we would have just kept OLTL instead of bringing these characters onto GH. But what's done is done. I'd love to see some sort of OLTL reunion, I will love and miss Viki and Dorian forever. Yet I can accept that those days are most likely gone for good. I was just thinking that the most likely way I'll ever get to see OLTL characters again is via GH.

• Members

I understand. For whatever reason I like the idea of separate soaps. Fans would complain because a certain character from a certain soap isn't on the show and fans would complain that their show is being taken over. I just think separate soaps are the way to go. I guess that's kind of why people may watch one soap but not another. For instance I watched Another World on and off and didn't like it when certain characters crossed over to As the World Turns. lol it's kind of complicated to explain.

• Members

I get you. It also gets complicated when actors have played multiple roles on these shows and then the writers want to establish that they all exist in the same universe. Like what we're seeing now with Tomas and Alcazar. I haven't watched in a few days, so I don't know how that's all working out.

• Members

I loved AMC but I also acknowledge the problems it had. I don't want a resurrection of that show. I miss the actors and characters but I'd rather see a new version of Pine Valley with whole new stories to tell. As much as I love SuLu and Erica Kane, I don't ever need to see Erica play the 60-year-old coquette again. That doesn't mean that a new soap couldn't feature SuLu in a key role doing great work but things would have to evolve.That's what I want and that's why I'm beyond sick of the Save Our Soaps crowd.

That Lorenzo/Tomas thing was apparently just a chance for Carlivati to stroke his campy!Llanview boner for a couple of days. I just hate that he dragged Skye into that mess. RC managed to destroy my love for Tea years ago but I won't let him ruin my love for Skye.

• Members

I honestly had high hopes for the Tomas/Alcazar thing. I thought we were going to get a good story but then they discuss him for a little bit then Tea/Blair/Skye take off and the whole thing hasn't been mentioned since? It was really kind of stupid and pointless. Why can't RC focus on romance. GH was all about romance and unforgettable love stories. Luke & Laura, Stone & Robin, Brenda & Sonny, Alan & Monica, Frisco & Felicia, Robert & Anna, and I could go one with more. Where is the love and romance on GH? That's currently my only complaint with the show is the lack of romance, love and sex appeal.

• Members

I think that's the question that has been asked about all soaps. To be fair, as the audience has gotten more fragmented so has the idea of what makes for good romance. That's why I wish there was a pitch for new soaps. IMO, the audience for Carlivati's idea of romance isn't the same as the audience for a Nixon/Broderick style of romance or a Bell romance. It's like the difference between a Shonda Rimes romance and a J.J. Abrams romance. Different writers, different styles, different audiences.

Archived