Daytime Confidential article on ABC Daytime.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. I won't get my hopes up, but I won't shoot down every report of *posibilities* either. AMC moving to L.A. had a major effect on my inner soap skeptic. While I hope soap reporters don't take advantage of fan loyalty and fabricate stories, I also think fans immediately jumping to angry skepticism isn't healthy.

As for dvds, the only thing I'd actually spend money on would be sets of the earliest episodes still available, and not things that we've already seen on A Daytime to Remember or SoapNet. There are some storylines that I'd like to watch over again in their entirety like Lord of the Banner and DID, and that's why I'd prefer a streaming format like PGP had.

• Webmaster

While I don't believe we've updated our Rules | Terms of Service in quite some time, the rule of thumb has always been to link (when possible) to a story and if some background info must be provided, summarize. Complete c/p is frowned upon as it isn't fair to the source of the info.

• Members

While I am skeptical of AMC or OLTL returning. I think ABC is beginning to see they made a mistake getting rid of these shows, especially after their replacements flopped. It would be interesting to see them in a summer run in ARCS like Port Charles did, picking up where each finale left off while spinning new stories of their own. I don't know if ABC family is the place to launch them. Something tells me that ABC wont part with Katie and now that GH's ratings have come up I could see them keeping it in its spot. I could see them making AMC and OLTL 30 minute shows with the potential of growing them back to hour long shows, when they see how ratings do or even combining AMC and OLTL into one show.

• Members

They aren't coming back because it's more than the fact that a soap gets higher ratings than anything else. Kudos to GH and B&B for their increases but let's face it, those small increases aren't enough for advertisers who've abandoned daytime over the last decade or so to start pouring money in again. They've moved on to where they think their money will reach their target audience more cost-efficiently. Without more advertising dollars, neither ABC or any other network is going to resurrect a (mostly) 5 day a week/52 week a year program, and as of yet there haven't been any signs that they are willing to try a 13 week cycle once a year or something similar that will cost low enough for the network to turn a profit acceptable to them.

Archived