Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Daytime Confidential article on ABC Daytime.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I found this article very interesting.

http://daytimeconfid...-year-old-scrip

Edited by doolfan, 04 December 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#2 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,324 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Yeah I don't see AMC or OLTL returning in any form

#3 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Just a heads up, we're not allowed to copy and paste entire articles from other sites here. It's a copyright issue. You can post a link and maybe a short excerpt.

#4 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Oops. Didn't know that. I corrected it though.

#5 Mr. Vixen

Mr. Vixen

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

I thought you were allowe to post full articles if you link?

#6 marceline

marceline

• Members
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

I thought you were allowe to post full articles if you link?

Obviously, I bow to Errol on this but I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore. It's the whole fair use/copyright issue. I think it's the reason SON asks people not to post the ratings in their entirety on other boards.

Edited by marceline, 04 December 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#7 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

IMO, "Save Our Soaps" and others who refuse to give up on "their stories" returning to the airwaves, they're all like trolls: you Just. Don't. Feed 'Em.

#8 EastMA2

EastMA2

Contract

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

What a lame, lame, lame article. Why would anyone WANT to post a link to it?

#9 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Because it might interest some people. You didn't have to read it.

#10 psychofan

psychofan

#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!!

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

I found it interesting. I would be so happy with maybe a summer series following the lives of those in Pine Valley or Llanview....not getting my hopes up though.

The most I am hoping for now with the licensing rights is some DVD releases.

#11 SFK

SFK

Just your average hot damn bam bam baby sex scorcher icon.

• Members
  • 18,080 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I found it interesting. I would be so happy with maybe a summer series following the lives of those in Pine Valley or Llanview....not getting my hopes up though.

The most I am hoping for now with the licensing rights is some DVD releases.

I agree. I won't get my hopes up, but I won't shoot down every report of *posibilities* either. AMC moving to L.A. had a major effect on my inner soap skeptic. While I hope soap reporters don't take advantage of fan loyalty and fabricate stories, I also think fans immediately jumping to angry skepticism isn't healthy.

As for dvds, the only thing I'd actually spend money on would be sets of the earliest episodes still available, and not things that we've already seen on A Daytime to Remember or SoapNet. There are some storylines that I'd like to watch over again in their entirety like Lord of the Banner and DID, and that's why I'd prefer a streaming format like PGP had.

#12 Errol

Errol

Editor in Chief, Soap Opera Network

• Webmaster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Obviously, I bow to Errol on this but I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore. It's the whole fair use/copyright issue. I think it's the reason SON asks people not to post the ratings in their entirety on other boards.

While I don't believe we've updated our Rules | Terms of Service in quite some time, the rule of thumb has always been to link (when possible) to a story and if some background info must be provided, summarize. Complete c/p is frowned upon as it isn't fair to the source of the info.

#13 AmandainNC28655

AmandainNC28655

Contract

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

While I am skeptical of AMC or OLTL returning. I think ABC is beginning to see they made a mistake getting rid of these shows, especially after their replacements flopped. It would be interesting to see them in a summer run in ARCS like Port Charles did, picking up where each finale left off while spinning new stories of their own. I don't know if ABC family is the place to launch them. Something tells me that ABC wont part with Katie and now that GH's ratings have come up I could see them keeping it in its spot. I could see them making AMC and OLTL 30 minute shows with the potential of growing them back to hour long shows, when they see how ratings do or even combining AMC and OLTL into one show.

#14 tune_in_tomorrow

tune_in_tomorrow

Dayplayer

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

They aren't coming back because it's more than the fact that a soap gets higher ratings than anything else. Kudos to GH and B&B for their increases but let's face it, those small increases aren't enough for advertisers who've abandoned daytime over the last decade or so to start pouring money in again. They've moved on to where they think their money will reach their target audience more cost-efficiently. Without more advertising dollars, neither ABC or any other network is going to resurrect a (mostly) 5 day a week/52 week a year program, and as of yet there haven't been any signs that they are willing to try a 13 week cycle once a year or something similar that will cost low enough for the network to turn a profit acceptable to them.

#15 marceline

marceline

• Members
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

They aren't coming back because it's more than the fact that a soap gets higher ratings than anything else. Kudos to GH and B&B for their increases but let's face it, those small increases aren't enough for advertisers who've abandoned daytime over the last decade or so to start pouring money in again. They've moved on to where they think their money will reach their target audience more cost-efficiently. Without more advertising dollars, neither ABC or any other network is going to resurrect a (mostly) 5 day a week/52 week a year program, and as of yet there haven't been any signs that they are willing to try a 13 week cycle once a year or something similar that will cost low enough for the network to turn a profit acceptable to them.

Agreed. I just wish there was an iota of interest in finding ways to make something new workable instead of this constant drumbeat to bring back shows that ran (and ran and ran) their course.

#16 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's also the fact that primetime is struggling to and networks probably don't want to hand out more money than they have to.

I think what truly killed All My Children in the end was it's over $60 million a year budget. Y&R dosen't even have a budget that high. GH also had a budget over $60 million but since Frank came it's reportedly around $40 million.

Edited by doolfan, 06 December 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#17 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

I think what truly killed All My Children in the end was it's over $60 million a year budget.

And it didn't need to be that high either, except Julie Hanan Carruthers was so inept as an EP that the show often ran way over budget.

#18 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

And it didn't need to be that high either, except Julie Hanan Carruthers was so inept as an EP that the show often ran way over budget.

Agreed. If the show had been running on $40 million a year maybe they would've kept it another year or two. But I will hand it to All My Children that even though they didn't need that kind of budget they were a good looking soap! The sets looked realistic and modern and they had lots of outdoor action. So you can clearly tell where they were putting that $60 million. But what in the heck was GH doing with their $60 million?! They were the most expensive soap even higher than AMC but yet they looked at times very cheap. Not the whole show but some of their sets. I think that One Life to Live proved you can have a good looking show on a cheaper budget.

Edited by doolfan, 06 December 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#19 marceline

marceline

• Members
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Yeah. It's ridiculous that she was allowed to be so incompetent for so long.

#20 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

It's also the fact that primetime is struggling to and networks probably don't want to hand out more money than they have to.

I think what truly killed All My Children in the end was it's over $60 million a year budget. Y&R dosen't even have a budget that high. GH also had a budget over $60 million but since Frank came it's reportedly around $40 million.

Re: the GH budget I read that it was under budget before and they had extra money to spend which was why they did that carnival in the parking lot a few years back. I did read that ABC cut 20 milllion out of the budget earlier this year.

Edited by chicklitsandfantasies, 06 December 2012 - 04:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users