Carolyn Conwell (ex-Mary Williams, Y&R) Has Passed

• Members

Re the Mary clip posted See, that's a typical Bill Bell scene where very little is vocalized and no big revelation happens, yet there's SO much subtext and unspoken history and emotion bubbling under the surface, even for people who don't know the characters. How come we can't get scenes like that anymore? Now we either get the crazy OTT Carlivati madness or the snooze-worthy stuff JG is currently dishing out.

Fine subtle acting from CC.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is really sad. sad.png RIP. What a fantastic actress, playing a fantastic character.

Having just rewatched the storyline, I cannot say that it was a dreadful story. Although I didn't like how much all of it was about Christine, it did make sense to me that they would use her the way they did in the story until Paul and Mary found out; after that, the story properly focused on them and the acting by Davidson, Cromwell and the actors who played Carl and Ruth (especially Ruth) was AMAZING. The tears when Paul found out, when Mary realized that Carl was gone again, Carl's reunion with Ruth! Just great stuff. All in all, it was an acceptable, well-plotted storyline that was made by the acting.

Although I have to agree--why it was ended the way it was doesn't quite make sense to me. Were there any backstage issues? I dunno why they would spend a whole year on this storyline only to write him back out. BUT the story was definitely not wrapped up as suddenly as I remembered it had. They actually dealt with the fallout for 2-3 months, which is fair.

• Members

When viewers complained that Mary was absent during the Patty story, Doug Davidson said that Conwell had retired and did not want to return. So I think the door was open at certain times, but the actress chose not to return. For all we know, she'd been in poor health for years.

Archived