Soap Opera Digest "Just My Opinion" One Life to Live

• Members

But if DirecTV viewed the show (Which I'm assuming they did before they signed the contract) why would they want that show? Based on the content of it. But of course it was actually pretty good then because it was during the blackmailer saga and before Vincent/Valerie are the same and the whole pregnancy thing with Vincent by Julian.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Trassions was what Direct TV believed to be a necessary evil. If viewers were desperate enough to want their show back (after NBC finally canceled it), they'd subscribe to Direct to see the show. Not even Trassions' fans were that desperate. Sometimes you just have to let go (coughOLTLfanscough).

• Members

We had DirectTV for years prior to that and watched their channel the 101 because of the concert series that was always playing on it. I couldn't imagine changing your service provider for a show. And I give them credit for contining to heavily promote it after they canceled it. They gave that show more promo than NBC ever did.

• Members

I don't miss Passions at all. I have a list of soaps I'd like to see return and Passions is not even close to being on that list. It can stay gone for all I care. What I thought was funny about the AMC/OLTL cancellations was people said to boycott Disney and not take trips to the parks or purchase merchandise. Like not taking a trip to Disney World is going to punish ABC/Disney. Disney gets how many millions of people to their parks in a years time? A couple disgruntled soap fans isn't going to hurt Disney World which is the largest resort in the U.S. and I do say a couple soap fans because while some people went crazy and started whining about the cancellations about 60-70% of the audience remained calm. It was the online folks who went insane.

• Members

I was a die-hard All My Children fan and I have failed to see what was soooooo special about these two soaps? What about Guiding Light, As the World Turns, Edge of Night, Santa Barbara, Port Charles, Loving, The City, Sunset Beach, Another World, Search For Tomorrow, Dark Shadows and the list goes on and on and on of soaps that have been cancelled. I personally don't think they are anymore special than any other cancelled soap. They aren't even the two longest running ones.

• Members

Why don't all these people focus their efforts on rallying around GH and trying to save it instead of trying to bring back two dead shows. Maybe I'm crazy for saying this but I don't feel like ABC wants out of the soap business and I do think they are behind GH. After all if they weren't they wouldn't be footing the bill for all these returns. I honestly do believe ABC is committed to GH.

For the time being anyways.

• Members

Well not everyone is unhappy with it. I'm gonna be honest here, most of the negative GH comments come from these message boards. lol about 95% of the comments and posts I've seen lately on other boards are positive with people saying they are enjoying the show now and it hasn't been this good since the 1980s. Everyone I talk to is loving the show again. I'm loving the show again. But I understand 100% that not everyone loves the show and I'm not gonna sit around like a OLTL fan and think that everyone loves my show lol. I remember people literally tearing people to shreds who said they weren't enjoying OLTL. But I don't mind it when people say they aren't happy with it. I think it makes for good, grown up debate. If you've ever been over on Tvbythenumbers you'll know what I mean. They don't know how to have a grown up debate. They tear each other up. But even in the 1980s people didn't like certain shows. My mom was a Days of our Lives fanatic and she couldn't stand All My Children and thought it was terrible (even though it was the #2 soap and almost all her friends watched it). But she didn't cut them down because they liked a certain show and didn't like her show. I like this site.

• Members

Oh yeah I know. I also find it funny when they try to repost as someone else and act like noone knows it's them. But either way the ratings have went up. And I know there is still some negativity but most of it is positive. But like I said I like how people can have a good debate on here and not throw temper tantrums.

• Members

I'm not going to say that I love the Duke/Faison just yet (again, I've been burned too many times by this show/Ron to put my full faith in it), but I will say that I am enjoying it and am anticipating where this'll go from here. As for plot point writing, I find that the bulk of Ron's was in the dearly departed OLTL (of which I'm watching at least 3 of as we speak in the rerun episodes) though the baby switch was definitely plot point writing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way that I will return to watching full-time is if my beloved Brenda Barrett were to return with a storyline that was worthy of her awesomeness (while effectively washing away the stench of her previous stint). Ron has shown me that he is capable of disregarding Guza's crappy storylines while honoring history, so I am (cautiously) optimistic that a return of hers would be infinitely better than what Guza subjected me to.

Archived