Soap Opera Digest "Just My Opinion" One Life to Live

• Webmaster

In order for foreigners to want to watch GH, the soap would have to "re-launch." By that I mean, at least a weeks worth of shows introducing the canvas to new viewers, while not necessarily taking away from the ongoing plots that American viewers are currently being entertained by. I'd imagine this would be done a year before the show aired internationally so that when it began airing Disney/ABC would have enough international networks signed up in order to get a profit out of it as well as provide enough time for promotion.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH is not appealing to international viewers. Right now it still doesn't have the elements to appeal to international viewers. There is not even one good romance on the show right now. My mother got hooked on Y&R back in the 80s when everyone in her country was obsessed with the show and she said they really liked the romances and the drama.

• Webmaster

Some countries block some websites, and not everyone is going to research characters on a website just to know about characters before a show debuted in their country. With GH being on the air for 50 seasons, some major work would need to be done to get people invested in the show and its history. I can't imagine them just throwing the show on the air in some foreign country and expect it to do well. I didn't happen in Europe when Disney launched ABC 1 a few years ago and it can't happen now.

• Members

I forget which country it was, but B&B did this years ago. Instead of starting at the beginning, they started around where the show currently was in the U.S. and had people like Flannery and McCook tape "catch up" segments letting the new viewers know the show's history and what had been going on recently.

When you look at U.S. soaps that were very successful in Italy like B&B, Capitol, and Santa Barbara, one can spot the glitzy through line, and in at least two cases, the 30 min. format. Loving also did well in Italy, as did GL, which I guess was their most popular traditional American "family" soap.

• Members

GH fans have a right to want to see their show in it's final years, months, days. Not one GH fan is out of line here! As GH fans, a sense of entitlement is in order as this is the show of which we are fans. I purposely skipped OLTL, so I won't have it forced on me. It's time for FRon to prove themselves as GH writers. So far, they have not done that.

• Webmaster

If you're speaking of quality/storytelling, that is subject to debate and would be based on one's opinion. I do think GH has improved, but it isn't where I hope it will be yet. That, however, does not mean the show can't be successful internationally based on current storytelling. What one likes or dislikes, doesn't mean all like or dislike. My input in the GH going international discussion was based on a business perspective alone.

• Members

ABC/Disney never aggressively marketed their soaps worldwide, like Sony,the Bell's, and New World did.

The soaps with the big international followings tended to be really high on glitz, glamour, high end camp, and escapism. IMO, the ABC soaps never really captured these elements as successfully as Santa Barbara and B&B did/do for example, hence why they were never that successful internationally.

Santa Barbara was a show that had very little success in its home country, but it was a different story internationally. IMO, Europeans especially, really "got" that show in ways Americans did not.

Archived