Soap Opera Digest "Just My Opinion" One Life to Live

• Members

Please tell me why Carolyn Hinsey is so certain One Life to Live will be back on the airwaves. In this weeks Soap Opera Digest she stated that "OLTL Will be back. There's no way ABC can keep up with this lineup they have." So I am assuming she was a OLTL fan. lol. I must say though that with Chew/Katie that ABC dosen't get the profits of airing soaps overseas, product placement, and as stated in an article by broadcasting and cable they are significantly behind AMC and OLTL in DVR ratings. So B&C said that those shows don't have anywhere near the audience that the two soaps did. But I will go ahead and say that ABC isn't going to re-launch OLTL or AMC. Why would they? As proved by the whole hospital reality show and GAA they are just going to continue making up random shows until something sticks, Whether they have to launch and cancel 50 different shows.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oddly enough I don't understand why they flopped overseas?? CBS and NBC soaps did extremely well overseas. ABC soaps were extremely popular in the U.S. and have tons of fiercely loyal fans. I have always found it puzzling that AMC/OLTL/GH didn't do well overseas. Speaking of AMC/OLTL/GH I do miss that daytime lineup. But at least I have GH left.

• Members

What I don't understand is what is so special about AMC and OLTL that caused such crazy fan backlash? CBS didn't have this problem with ATWT and GL. But when ABC announced it was dumping AMC and OLTL fans went CRAZY!! Personally I loved Ron C.'s work on GH but I did not like his OLTL. I prefer the OLTL of the early to mid 90s when Michael Malone was writing the soap. Critics praised the show and considered OLTL to be airing stories "To good to be called soap opera". OLTL had some GREAT stories during that time period. I just didn't like carlivati at the helm of OLTL. But, like I said I love his GH. He seems to get GH and he is bringing it back to Classic GH.

• Members

No disrespect intended, but OLTL fans are the most entitled bunch I've ever seen. You'd think OLTL was the only show ever canceled.

He doesn't get GH at all. He doesn't even get "writing". Totally inept and using nostalgia to keep the show's head above water. Plot pointed drivel does not a good soap opera make.

• Members

Well I think his GH material is miles better than anything Guza/Wolf penned for the show. The whole fake Duke story was something you'd see on GH in the 80s. I personally like the nostalgia. He's using old character and creating new stories with them. At least he isn't pulling those stories and changing a few things which is what MAB did at Y&R a lot.

• Members

Oh, good lord. I didn't put 'em on General Hospital! And it would never have even occurred to me. But it happened, and I have no reason to apologize for liking them being here. I've watched the whole ABC lineup for 20 years - it's all gravy to me.

You call OLTL fans entitled by way of the fact that, without the audience's involvement, ex-OLTL staffers put OLTL people on the show. Call me when any of us have an actual ability to effect that kind of change. Otherwise I call this blind myopia, and I'm not going to have a thing more to do with it. It's such an easy online game of pick the cheap and easy target, and it's lazy.

Archived