Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Soap Opera Digest "Just My Opinion" One Life to Live

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Please tell me why Carolyn Hinsey is so certain One Life to Live will be back on the airwaves. In this weeks Soap Opera Digest she stated that "OLTL Will be back. There's no way ABC can keep up with this lineup they have." So I am assuming she was a OLTL fan. lol. I must say though that with Chew/Katie that ABC dosen't get the profits of airing soaps overseas, product placement, and as stated in an article by broadcasting and cable they are significantly behind AMC and OLTL in DVR ratings. So B&C said that those shows don't have anywhere near the audience that the two soaps did. But I will go ahead and say that ABC isn't going to re-launch OLTL or AMC. Why would they? As proved by the whole hospital reality show and GAA they are just going to continue making up random shows until something sticks, Whether they have to launch and cancel 50 different shows.

#2 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

ABC doesn't get the profits of airing soaps overseas regardless. They flop overseas.

#3 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Oddly enough I don't understand why they flopped overseas?? CBS and NBC soaps did extremely well overseas. ABC soaps were extremely popular in the U.S. and have tons of fiercely loyal fans. I have always found it puzzling that AMC/OLTL/GH didn't do well overseas. Speaking of AMC/OLTL/GH I do miss that daytime lineup. But at least I have GH left.

#4 jcar03

jcar03

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

A cancelled soap is NOT coming back.

#5 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 8,973 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Please tell me why Carolyn Hinsey is so certain One Life to Live will be back on the airwaves.

Because trolling OLTL fans is easy and profitable. They've proven to be the most gullible and desperate of all soap fans.

#6 MrQuartermaine

MrQuartermaine

Contract

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Oddly enough I don't understand why they flopped overseas?? CBS and NBC soaps did extremely well overseas. ABC soaps were extremely popular in the U.S. and have tons of fiercely loyal fans. I have always found it puzzling that AMC/OLTL/GH didn't do well overseas. Speaking of AMC/OLTL/GH I do miss that daytime lineup. But at least I have GH left.

A couple of the reasons for GH's failure overseas is that #1. Some countries were decades behind in the episodes that they were showing & #2. Some countries just kept the name, and totally reinvented a brand new show.

#7 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,766 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Because trolling OLTL fans is easy and profitable. They've proven to be the most gullible and desperate of all soap fans.

FRon realize this, and uses it almost at the detriment of GH.

#8 MrQuartermaine

MrQuartermaine

Contract

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

+1. From what I've seen in person at fan events at least.

#9 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Really, guys? Slow Sunday?

#10 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

What I don't understand is what is so special about AMC and OLTL that caused such crazy fan backlash? CBS didn't have this problem with ATWT and GL. But when ABC announced it was dumping AMC and OLTL fans went CRAZY!! Personally I loved Ron C.'s work on GH but I did not like his OLTL. I prefer the OLTL of the early to mid 90s when Michael Malone was writing the soap. Critics praised the show and considered OLTL to be airing stories "To good to be called soap opera". OLTL had some GREAT stories during that time period. I just didn't like carlivati at the helm of OLTL. But, like I said I love his GH. He seems to get GH and he is bringing it back to Classic GH.

#11 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,766 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Really, guys? Slow Sunday?

No disrespect intended, but OLTL fans are the most entitled bunch I've ever seen. You'd think OLTL was the only show ever canceled.

What I don't understand is what is so special about AMC and OLTL that caused such crazy fan backlash? CBS didn't have this problem with ATWT and GL. But when ABC announced it was dumping AMC and OLTL fans went CRAZY!! Personally I loved Ron C.'s work on GH but I did not like his OLTL. I prefer the OLTL of the early to mid 90s when Michael Malone was writing the soap. Critics praised the show and considered OLTL to be airing stories "To good to be called soap opera". OLTL had some GREAT stories during that time period. I just didn't like carlivati at the helm of OLTL. But, like I said I love his GH. He seems to get GH and he is bringing it back to Classic GH.

He doesn't get GH at all. He doesn't even get "writing". Totally inept and using nostalgia to keep the show's head above water. Plot pointed drivel does not a good soap opera make.

Edited by ChitHappens, 02 December 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#12 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I know before it was because the PSA type stories weren't edgy enough for international audiences.

#13 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Well I think his GH material is miles better than anything Guza/Wolf penned for the show. The whole fake Duke story was something you'd see on GH in the 80s. I personally like the nostalgia. He's using old character and creating new stories with them. At least he isn't pulling those stories and changing a few things which is what MAB did at Y&R a lot.

#14 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Oh, good lord. I didn't put 'em on General Hospital! And it would never have even occurred to me. But it happened, and I have no reason to apologize for liking them being here. I've watched the whole ABC lineup for 20 years - it's all gravy to me.

You call OLTL fans entitled by way of the fact that, without the audience's involvement, ex-OLTL staffers put OLTL people on the show. Call me when any of us have an actual ability to effect that kind of change. Otherwise I call this blind myopia, and I'm not going to have a thing more to do with it. It's such an easy online game of pick the cheap and easy target, and it's lazy.

#15 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

But yet Carolyn Hinsey praised MAB. I didn't get it at all.

#16 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Well I think his GH material is miles better than anything Guza/Wolf penned for the show. The whole fake Duke story was something you'd see on GH in the 80s. I personally like the nostalgia. He's using old character and creating new stories with them. At least he isn't pulling those stories and changing a few things which is what MAB did at Y&R a lot.

He's not creating new stories he's redoing stories from GH and OLTL.

#17 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,766 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

He's not creating new stories he's redoing stories from GH and OLTL.

And he's doing a worse job at telling them the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...time around. There hasn't been a cohesive story told yet and NOTHING has been brought to conclusion. This is James E. Reilly chit here.

The only thing they've done is to not have 3 characters dominating the screen, but at the same time, GH characters have been shafted to make room for characters that should have died when their show died.

#18 doolfan

doolfan

Recurring

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Other than the baby switch what stories has he copied from OLTL? The Kate D.I.D. story was already in place before Carlivati took over. Garin Wolf created that story. I thought that the Two Duke's story was going to be a complete copy of OLTL's Todd/Victor but it turned out to be a complete and total new story and I am personally loving it. I also love how he is putting the Quartermaine's (the ones left) front and center. I love Monica/Tracy scenes.

But I agree I don't like the OLTL characters on GH either. I think that if they got those three off contract then it would free up space for three GH characters. I cannot stand Starr on GH and John McBain has no purpose and Todd is just used as comic relief. They are just taking up contract spots that could be used for three GH characters.

#19 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

And he's doing a worse job at telling them the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...time around. There hasn't been a cohesive story told yet and NOTHING has been brought to conclusion. This is James E. Reilly chit here.

The only thing they've done is to not have 3 characters dominating the screen, but at the same time, GH characters have been shafted to make room for characters that should have died when their show died.

Lol JER. He had his moments of entertainment but good storyteller he was not. However he did do romance better than Fron.

#20 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,766 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Other than the baby switch what stories has he copied from OLTL? The Kate D.I.D. story was already in place before Carlivati took over. Garin Wolf created that story. I thought that the Two Duke's story was going to be a complete copy of OLTL's Todd/Victor but it turned out to be a complete and total new story and I am personally loving it. I also love how he is putting the Quartermaine's (the ones left) front and center. I love Monica/Tracy scenes.

DID was not in place when FRon came to GH. They were consulting late October/early November of 2011 and that is when the direction of many stories changed. There was not a hint of DID before FRon on GH. Just because they said it was in place before they got here does not make it true. Coincidence, the meat of DID didn't begin until FRon? Yeah, ok.

Edited by ChitHappens, 02 December 2012 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users