Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Things that happened in Daytime that Primetime isn't ready for or can't handle!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 allmc2008

allmc2008

Sexy and I know it!

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

I thought this would be an interesting topic because I read that Irna wanted to do a story on LIAMST about a botched abortion back in 68'. Although she never did that story are there any stories that Daytime actually did that Primetime may not be able to handle or accomplish?

#2 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

...are there any stories that Daytime actually did that Primetime may not be able to handle or accomplish?

Nope.

#3 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,050 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Since we have traveled back to 1983, can someone write to Procter & Gamble and ask them not to write out the entire Bauer family.

Edited by CarlD2, 30 November 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#4 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

We are well past the point where daytime was more progressive than primetime.

#5 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYLOR

• Members
  • 9,678 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

End of thread.

#6 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Since we have traveled back to 1983, can someone write to Procter & Gamble and ask them not to write out the entire Bauer family.

As always, Carl, WIN.

End of thread.

WIN for you, too, Eric! :)

#7 SFK

SFK

Just your average hot damn bam bam baby sex scorcher icon.

• Members
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Y'all are turrible. :lol:

#8 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,050 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

The only one that I can think of in the last few years has been the teen online bullying stories. The problem for me is that if OLTL's story is any indication, modern soaps should not be handling this at all.

#9 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

I'm pretty sure primetime is not ready for the Two Todds.

#10 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,050 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Wasn't that a banned episode of Scrubs?

#11 saynotoursoap

saynotoursoap

Contract

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Irna managed to tell the botched abortion story twice. First was on Another World with Patricia Matthews becoming pregnant by Tom Baxter and diagnosed barren after her abortion led to a life threatening infection. On Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Terry Andrews died from a botched abortion. The story CBS denied Irna was an interracial romance between a white male and Asian female, and regrettably, heretofore, Asian characters have been even more underrepresented than African Americans in daytime.

Edited by saynotoursoap, 01 December 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#12 Khan

Khan

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

Daytime sure wasn't!

#13 saynotoursoap

saynotoursoap

Contract

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

I love it, Vee. And, I am certain Grey's Anatomy is not ready to suddenly replace Sandra Oh with Hayden Panettiere and have her sing the show's theme song at the drop of a hat.

#14 soapsnstuds

soapsnstuds

Recurring

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Mine is a reversal. The best storyline EVER was during the 1985-86 storyline on Dallas when the whole damnned thing was Victoria Principal (Pam's) dream. Why hasn't a daytime soap opera been this courageous? Do shows ever and that includes Twin Peaks, Friday Night Lights or even The Walking Dead as big as huge and epic as Dallas? I am tuning out, the best soap opera on TV these days, The Walking Dead comes on in two hours with their middle-of-the season cliff-hanger. This is the show where it's at.

Posted Image

Edited by soapsnstuds, 02 December 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#15 Khan

Khan

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

We always joke how this-or-that incoming HW or EP should do the it-was-all-a-horrible-dream scenario. Truth is, though, if anyone at any daytime soap even dared try that, most probably would spit fire.

Edited by Khan, 02 December 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#16 SFK

SFK

Just your average hot damn bam bam baby sex scorcher icon.

• Members
  • 18,168 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

We always joke how this-or-that incoming HW or EP should do the it-was-all-a-horrible-dream scenario. Truth is, though, if anyone at any daytime soap even dared try that, most probably would spit fire.

For a minute there on OLTL, RC was a fan of using dreams/daydreams on a much smaller (i.e., not a full damn season) scale to let entire scenarios play out, and then have the character suddenly snap out of it. It got to a point where you could almost instantly sniff them out, like, "No way this denouement is coming THAT fast."

I would say DOOL's secret island of the undead is probably daytime's answer to the dream season.

#17 BoldBeauty

BoldBeauty

Recurring

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I love it, Vee. And, I am certain Grey's Anatomy is not ready to suddenly replace Sandra Oh with Hayden Panettiere and have her sing the show's theme song at the drop of a hat.

Or the shorter explaination for it would be: ruin the show. ;)

#18 Chris B

Chris B

Kylie!!

• Members
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

Something that happens in PRIMETIME that I'd like to see is daytime is a flash forward episode. Brit soap Hollyoaks did this once where they flash forwarded to a wedding six months later that showed a character being shot and killed. I know many would worry about the HW getting replaced or actors coming and going, but those are easy things to work around. They pretty much know whose contract is up when and who to feature. It would be difficult to pull off, but I think it would be an interesting senario.

#19 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,050 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

The main problem with doing that is soaps are made up as they go along, or at least they are now. Ron Carlivati can't even keep track of a story for a month, let alone six.

#20 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,726 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Something that happens in PRIMETIME that I'd like to see is daytime is a flash forward episode. Brit soap Hollyoaks did this once where they flash forwarded to a wedding six months later that showed a character being shot and killed. I know many would worry about the HW getting replaced or actors coming and going, but those are easy things to work around. They pretty much know whose contract is up when and who to feature. It would be difficult to pull off, but I think it would be an interesting senario.

GH somehwat has done this, with the B&W ball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users