ABC developing real-life version of 'General Hospital'

• Members

Remember when Brian Frons stated that the audience could be trained to watch this type of programming? Well, when it comes to The Chew he was right. Now everybody likes The Chew so I don't even want to hear people say "GH Fans won't watch this if it means GH is cancelled". Sorry, but The Chew is still doing well so it seems that some All My Children fans didn't exactly keep their word. lol Also, I just noticed something last night. Katie airs two times on my local affiliate. It airs at 4pm and then airs a repeat from 1:37-2:37a.m. Does anybody else's affiliates air Katie twice??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know The Chew ratings but I think they were a fair amount below AMC, it just didn't matter, because they're so cheap.

I also don't think there's been any "training" of viewers. If there was then The Revolution would still be on.

• Members

I just noticed something...Why is everyone freaking out on other message boards about this show. In the article it clearly states it is intended for syndication or cable. It does not say anything about being a part of ABC Daytime. For all we know it could replace Katie! Which, btw, I went back and read an article about the deal she signed back in the summer of 2011 for her syndicated talker and it was a $40 million contract which is unheard of. Also, the launch for Katie is $80 million which is enough for about two years of OLTL. Considering she is only pulling 2.35 million viewers I would say that is probably a disappointment,

• Members

No. I remember that he said audiences could be trained to like certain storylines in soaps. That training comment came long before these replacement shows.

The only people who said stuff like that were butthurt soap fans with an inflated sense of importance and drama queens in the soap blogosphere. Most soap viewers - and by "most" I mean offliners - handled the cancelations like grown ups and either moved on to The Chew or not. The general viewing audience shouldn't be gauged by the reaction of superfans and I say this as a superfan of certain shows.

Archived