ABC developing real-life version of 'General Hospital'

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unless they have doctors brawling in the streets and wearing mini-skirts to work, most won't watch today. Reality shows mostly go for the gutter at the moment. And I watch some of those, don't get me wrong, but that's what they do. It's what gets eyeballs.

• Members

Exactly, Carl!

If they really want to develop interesting, new programming for their daypart, I say they should just capitalize on the current craze and start developing limited-run telenovela-like series that don't require lavish budgets but that do appeal to more diverse, younger audiences. But that's just me.

• Members

The only other option is to devote the daypart to reruns of primetime shows or give it to the affiliates. I think the rerun thing might work. It certainly works for basic cable. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't tried. I could easily see DAYS followed /replaced by reruns of Silk Stalkings, Monk or SVU. Or GH being followed/replaced by eps of Roseanne, Moonlighting and/or The Wonder Years. At this point there's nothing to lose.

I was wondering. I know that you've been resistant to the telenovela model. A popular telenovela could easily lead the way back to a more traditional soap opera. Although I think (hope) that even if that's true, the days of "worlds without end" is over. I'd rather have a daily soap that runs for five years and makes some goddamn sense than another Project Orpheus, Mitch Lawrence back from the dead again or Tomarenzo.

• Members

Yeah I do have to give that marketing person their props for that one. I'm already seeing the gullible buy into their crap. I studied marketing for 3 years and know what spin words make soap fans look stupid, can I get a job with ABC Daytime?

I shake my head at it all the time to. Because it makes what network execs said "You can train the audience to watch what you want them to" so true.

Archived