Did GH/L&L tarnish "Rise" by Herb Alpert?

• Members

I was listening to Rise on my MP3, and I've always wondered why other shows never touched that instrumental (that I know of) after GH.

We know what GH did for "Baby Come To Me". How long was it off the charts before being resurrected due to the show - about a year if I'm not mistaken. It shot to #1 and stayed there.

Friends and Lovers is another song that shot to the top of the charts due to a soap.

So I have to wonder about Rise. I was really young during the LL incident (trying not to veer off topic) so I am just curious about why no other shows used this song (if that was possible). It was very sexy and popular, but I can't help but believe GH might have had a negative impact.

Does anyone else know better?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Perhaps it's because I'm younger, but I associate that song as the song that The Notorious BIG sampled for his hit, "Hypnotize" first, and as a smooth jazz staple second. Needless to say, I had no clue that that was the background music in the L&L rape scene until they re-aired that episode sometime in the early 00s.

So, to answer your question, no, that song isn't tarnished in my eyes. It may hold more than one meaning, but I can't say that I am nauseated when I hear it.

• Members

I do admit to feeling guilty when I listen to it sometimes, because it really IS a sexy song that could work well in a romantic setting, so I really have to try to forget the reason why it became popular in the first place (it went to number one in late 1979, shortly after the rape scene aired).

I've always wondered if Herb Alpert himself was bothered about the song being used in this context. He may have just been happy the show gave it more exposure than it ever would have gotten otherwise.

• Members

IMO, no other show, primetime or daytime, has used "Rise" because it is so intrinsic to L&L and that night at the Campus Disco. In a way, it's the same reason (next to pesky clearance issues) why "Wiseguy" makes it difficult for another show to use the Moody Blues' "Nights in White Satin" w/o bringing up for viewers memories of that climactic sequence in the former show.

Archived