Tie in Books on Soaps

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I checked out, well, before then.

But seriously, given our latest obsession with all things "Twilight," "Hunger Games," and even "Harry Potter," you would think teenaged Molly would have been inspired to write some sci-fi/paranormal romance series instead of "One Tree Hill: The Novel."

• Members

If I read one of those kinds of books, it'd have to be for a soap that's no longer on the air. That way, no new HW can come along and change virtually everything that's been established. (I'm willing to bet everyone who had a copy of those ALL MY CHILDREN tie-ins were flipping pages like mad, trying to figure out how Kendall's conception fit into the overall story, lol.)

Funny, but we keep forgetting to mention that DAYS tie-in that Sheri Anderson authored a year or so ago. Has anyone read that piece of work?

• Members

Kay's explanation for switching Jill's baby would have been a pip.

Girl, please, I didn't even make the reservation.

All one of 'em.

Is there? I've forgotten already. I want to know, though, whether those novels are in line with any on-screen doings (and vice-versa) or whether the un-boot have rendered the novels obsolete as well.

• Members

The novels are definitely obsolete. John and Marlena were the focus of the first book. I think Shane and Kim and Jack and Jennifer have one too, or at least, were supposed to have one.

EDIT: Looked it up and there have been two books with a third expected to be released at the end of the year. Here are the descriptions from Amazon of the first two (I was wrong about a J&J and S&K book)

A Secret in Salem - Marlena & John have never been so close, and yet so far apart...

Marlena's love, John, has been paralyzed for two years, and she is becoming desperate. Although her love for him has never waned, she must find a cure before they drift too far apart as man and wife. But John's illness may not be all that it seems, and the truth could tear them apart forever.

On the winding roads leading to Monte Carlo...

Charlotte Gaines, daughter of one of the world's richest men and one of the hottest fashion designers, discovers a hidden truth about her family that she never suspected. It sets her on a quest that will uncover long-buried secrets, hidden passions, and dangerous mysteries...all leading to a city called Salem, and a revelation that will change all of their lives forever.

A Stirring in Salem - As New Year's fireworks light the London sky...

The fallout from Richard Gaines's financial debacle spreads deeply into the lives of the citizens from Salem. With John and Marlena's help, Charley believes Richard's unspeakable wrongs have been rectified. But soon, while on an unexpected and lifechanging journey to South Africa, Charley discovers that the scandal has far wider implications.

In the exotic and dangerous lands of South Africa...

A deadly secret is revealed that threatens a clinic run by Kayla, Patch, and Bill Horton. John and Marlena, with the help of family and friends from Salem, work to uncover the truth and save the clinic. Amid the scandal, Charley finds herself thrown into the world of high fashion and drawn to a man she never expected. Where danger lurks behind every bush, old loves will be challenged, secrets will be revealed, and passions will ignite stronger than ever.

• Members

The third Sheri Anderson book was supposed to come out earlier this year, I had it on order with Amazon and when it didn't come out they cancelled it. Is it really coming out now? There was also supposed to be a Bo & Hope Days book, that never happened.

The Search for Tomorrow book sounds interesting. I'd like to read that, can you give me more information?

I read most of these books, though I usually wait until they are on a deep discount. Some of them are okay, others not so much. I have a few still on my bookshelf that I have yet to read (the ATWT and GL tie-ins).

• Members

Having It All by Erica Kane is the only one my mom and I ever read. It was a no-brainer that we'd buy it as we were still very much in love with AMC at the time and Erica is our all-time favorite. But I concede that it's rather corny/cringe-worthy in spots where the "ghostwriter" tries to write in Erica's OTT voice.

• Members

Someday I'll get on ebay and check out those novel versions of the soaps they used to publish in the '70s/'80s. I remember being in the gift shop at an amusement park in the late '80s and they had a kiosk full of them from practically every soap that was on the air at the time.

• Members

I admit I read Charm (as I said in the GH thread) as well as OLTL's Patrick's Diary. Together they probably took up 3 hours of my time, but I loved both soaps when the books came out, and didn't mind supporting them. (And yes, I have the casette tape that came with Patrick's Diary of Thorsten reading poerty but have never played it...)

Archived