Tie in Books on Soaps

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is the trouble with soap tie-in novels, I think. Soap stories are fluid by nature, and even backstories are subject to revisions. Ergo, unless it's something like "The Killing Club," which was written under the guise of Marcie penning a novel (with help from "Professor Malone") that had no bearing at all on OLTL's ongoing plots, I feel like readers/viewers are just wasting their time on that stuff. Plus, it's not as if you see primetime series doing this kind of stuff (genre and 'niche' shows notwithstanding), so why should soaps?

• Members

Another problem: I get the feeling that even "standalone" tie-in novels are dashed off in, like, one weekend, by individuals who've no clue how to write in general, much less the show and/or character they're supposedly writing for. I skim a page or two of some of those, and I just SMH over the prose style that makes Harlequin read like Eudora Welty.

• Members

Burn Notice did a graphic novel, lol. But seriously if they are gonna write a tie in novel it shouldn't be based on the ongoing plots or the backstories of characters like Hidden Passions was. I don't even know why Passions changed the some of the backstories of the characters from what they were in their tie in novel.

I think if they are going to do a real life version of a novel on a show the novel should be original characters in unrelated stories.

However the summary for Molly novel sounds boring and like she based it off whatever cheap romance novel she was reading at the moment.

• Members

It sounds so dry.

Maddie Post--outgoing, vivacious college athlete--does not belong in Blake, Maine. She does not belong in a riverfront diner catering to boat-builders, and she does not belong in sweet Janet Gilbertson's $200-a-month guest room. And Janet's dark and stormy son, Hank, back in Maine after 10 years as an active duty Army diver, isn't without his troubles, either. Quiet and brooding, he’s happiest working with explosives underwater: talk about pressure! For all their differences, when bubbly Maddie and cautious Hank start spending time together, it doesn't take long for the crackle of summer romance to grow into a blazing fire. They canoe and camp, watch movies and read paperbacks, fend off Maddie’s aggressive ex-boyfriend and encourage Janet’s blossoming romance with diner-owner Phil, and even spend a romantic weekend in Boston. Hank is softening up and Maddie is starting to feel more comfortable in her temporary home, but does this improbable couple belong together? And what happens to their relationship when Maddie heads back to college and Hank starts traveling the world again on a mysterious, possibly dangerous, assignment?

• Members

I prefer books that delve into the pasts of the characters instead of just being slapped together crap with a character's name on it. Search for Tomorrow had a good book that delved into Jo's past, during WWII, losing her mother, dealing with her sister Eunice's flightiness, finding love.

Archived