All: Rank The Soaps for 2012

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have Netflix and also pay for streaming, so I can watch some stuff on the computer.

I would add that too, although I just started it.

I didn't mean to be so glib, but I have no connection to today's soaps. I can barely try now. I will say I thought Edward's death was nicely done.

• Members

1. GH: The most I have loved a soap in a long time.

2. DAYS: Not loving it, but they've had some random high points...especially under MarDar and now with Kristen.

3. Y&R: I actually liked some of MAB's stuff ph34r.png ...but not enough to say that I loved her or even Y&R. And for the majority of the year, I found it dull.

4. B&B: Haven't enjoyed it in years and now with both Ridge and Stephanie gone, I don't see that changing.

• Members

1. GH -- If any production team could turn this show around it was Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini. I've mentioned before I loved Bob Guza's work because GH under the mob was a lot like Edge of Night was, but I know Guza rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. RC loves to delve into history... his story about Duke returning, only to be fake (Faison) and the real Duke stashed somewhere was pure genius. Other characters are getting good play (the Quartermaines seem like they have strong story, finally!)

2. B&B -- Stephanie's death seems like a show-killing story to me, but it's understandable because Susan Flannery wanted to retire as an actress. So much story possibility. A great triangle with Hope, Steffy and Liam. Dollar Bill's antics. About the only problem I've seen is the familiar one: Bradley Bell can't seem to write more than one story at a time. So if he's focusing on Hope/Steffy/Liam, practically the entire cast disappears. Oh, and I miss Ronn Moss. Yes, "Helmet Head" Ridge wasn't the best actor, but Ridge's presence is sorely needed with Stephanie gone.

3. Y&R -- It seems like the show is refocusing and going back to what worked in the past. Josh Griffith seems to like writing for the veteran characters, meaning we're getting more Victor/Jack/Nikki. Maybe we'll have Ashley back someday, preferably played by Eileen Davidson once her Days stint is finished (whenever that is). The show isn't perfect, but it's loads more watchable than it was the previous few years.

4. Days -- I shake my head. This is the year I finally gave up. Although I do like the Will/Sonny story and I do like parts of Kristen's return, everything else just stinks. Dannifer will never measure up to the greatness of Jack and Jennifer. Bo can't be kept forever in another room or running errands; Hope deserves better. Sami and her million men story is getting old. The news of the most recent firings was the last straw. I miss Matt Ashford. I miss Patrick Muldoon. I miss Christie Clark. I miss Peter Reckell. I miss Sarah Brown.... Crystal Chappell... Renee Jones... and YES, I definitely miss Molly Burnett. I know Renee, Peter and Molly's exits were voluntary, but all of these characters not on canvas leaves a gaping hole in the show. Days is getting some stuff right, but I'm afraid the show's screwed with and burned too many fans' bridges to make a difference.

• Members

1 GH: I'm not a big fan of Carlivati and Valentini but they are at least trying to save the show. It's an improvement over the last couple of years. And as a villain fan I love that they brought back characters like Faison, Heather and Jerry.

2 B&B: This year's been pretty boring and I miss Ridge. But B&B is the best looking soap with great location shoots and the best background music.

3 DAYS: I hate what has happened to "my" soap. Tomlin and Whitesell are tiresome, there's no stakes, no real stories, people just go around talking from one cheap looking set to another. Corday is a coward for wanting them to play everything safe. They always get rid of the wrong people (even though some of them weren't my favorites), while the 30s group EJ, Sami, Rafe and Nicole are always same and never gets rested. Kristen's return should have been a big moment instead she's just back and now falling for Brady, what the hell. I'm tired of seeing one female character after another being sacrificed for that gorilla Daniel. This [!@#$%^&*] deserves to be cancelled next year.

Don't watch Y&R.

• Members

1. GH - And I can't sit through an entire episode most days because SOMETHING will aggravate me within that hour, but I will tune in and acknowledge the improvement vs. Guza's mob-worshipping and despisition of history (and common logic). It's so nice to see AJ again, as well as seeing Monica more frequently again, though I'm disappointed that Tracy's been reduced to a bitter, shrieking harpee. I'd only previously seen her 70s and 90s stints and loved her cool, disengaged sardonic humour, which seems to be a thing of the past.

I confess I'm not sure I like most of the rest of the stories, and the OLTL people still don't quite fit on the show to me, but it's produced some great moments throughout the year and brought Robin Mattson back, which I'm always happy about.

2. B&B - Hope/Steffy/Liam ate Los Angeles and after awhile I couldn't tune in anymore, but it was still more engaging than anything on...

3. DAYS - Wasted potential is the only two words I can use to describe this year. Every story MarDar put together was either dropped, or was introduced, disappeared for weeks -- sometimes months at a time, then hastily concluded without any real consequence (see: Victor stealing his wife's eggs to produce Taniel).

I hate Daniel and Jennifer. I hate Jennifer spending more time sticking her nose into everyone else's business than DOING HER JOB or GRIEVING FOR HER HUSBAND. I hate the rotten acting, I hate the fact that they seem to think anyone actually still cares about Sami/EJ/Rafe. For crying out loud, put one or the other together and give them something else to focus on. Make Rafe's mother an actual character and have her be an overbearing uber-religious version of a OLTL's Maria Roberts-style psychomom out for Sami's blood (and Nick's for that matter). Tell a complete story. Stop making people wear K-Mart, and stop lighting the studio like every set is a warehouse. I've seen sitcoms with moodier lighting!

I HAVE enjoyed Kristen's return. Not knowing for weeks whether she was legitimately trying to be 1993-Kristen or whether her manipulative streak was still on. I'm just hoping they have a clear plan of what they want for her now that she's back, and tie her to more than just Marlena, John and EJ. And seriously, where's Kate? Where's Stefano? Please give these people something to do so that I don't have to watch Eric Brady re-enact Jack's PTSD story from last year.

4. Y&R - One word: Phyllis. If there's one scene that defines what was wrong with Y&R this year, it's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHSrMqURyA

When Yvonne Zima looks Emmy-worthy in comparison (not to mention sympathetic), you've failed. And whoever decided that it was appropriate for Phyllis to act like she was about to have an alien sprout from her midriff should never work in TV ever again. All I can say is I'm glad there's new blood at Y&R right now, but let's just hope things pick up soon because I am far from excited about what's happening right now.

• Members

Well, thanks to Liz, new(er) GH viewers know Lucy as some husband-stealin' tramp who now makes and sells cosmetics for a living (which is not necessarily false, but certainly not the most appropriate thing to mention under the circumstances). So, I'd say, they're well on their way there.

Archived