All: Rank The Soaps for 2012

• Members

1. Home and Away was the best soap opera of the year. This show is a true ensemble where everyone is connected to each other. Everyone knows each other. And the stories behind the build up and back of forth of the major couples: Harvey / Roo, Romeo / Indi, Heath / Bianca, Brax / Natalie, Dex / April, even John / Gina has been classic soap opera storytelling. And now I have no clue who I want Casey with, his baby mama Sasha or the girl who saved his life, Tamara. And this show, even with the constant cast turnover, RESPECTS its history but never RELIES on it. Harvey and Roo's wedding was wonderful with the returns of classic characters, Celia, Morag and Colleen. And there was no story this year as heartbreaking as baby Rocco's health issues / death and Dex's accident and subsequent therapy that basically rendered him an invalid in the beginning.

It's been an amazing ride of ups and down's in Summer Bay this year and 2013, with the arrival of villainous Adam and his psycho son Jamie, who left Heath for dead in the middle of the ocean and the announced exits of Liam and my favourite character, the commonly acknowlegeded Prince of the Bay (Romeo), not to mention the announced mystery return of the deceased fan-favourite Charlie (Australian soaps don't bring people back from the dead), is sure to be another must see year.

2. Shortland Street - This show has some amatuerish qualities to it and the annoying as hell Jasmine / Angel God storyline is a struggle, but if you get past that and just welcome yourself to being entertained, Shortland Street will not disappoint. I think SS is the most human soap there is right now. People actually support one another and are grounded, except for psycho Bree who slowly started to believe she was her sister Broooke, the story climaxing with Bree hitting Brooke over the head and sending her to a STORAGE unit, left to bleed out and die! The best thing about the story, for me, is that Brooke is far from innocent and even now, with Bree in a psychward, Brooke can't help but create little schemes to get what she wants. And as this story ended the arrival of Dr. Boyd Raleston (is he murderer? is he a hero?) to the canvas gave the fabulous Lana (my favourite character) the lead story as she and her friends tried to find proof that he murdered Lana's friend's (Kylie's) sister, Julia. Now it seems the murderer was Emma's (the other friend's) father, leaving Emma in a quandary of staying loyal to a family who will disown her if she doesn't or her best friends. Then there's Vasa ... this character is a mess and I LOVE her for it. This is a woman who is desperate to be loved and in that journey to wanting campanionship, she constantly makes terrible decisions, sometimes betraying her daughter Ula to do it. Right now Vasa has fallen in love with a patient (Gus) after being ostracized for having an affair with Sarah Potts' now ex-boyfriend Zac, MS survivor and single mother of two who EVERYONE loves (except me! total Mary Sue type). The twist here is Gus is dying of cancer, so once again Vasa is in a lose lose situation. Not only will she lose the one person in a long time that loves her, but she could just as well lose her career right along with him. The build up of this couple, even knowing the fate of it all, has been completely endearing and impossible not to stubbornly root for. And to make stakes even higher, Roimata was sexually assaulted by a mysterious assailant. We still don't know who did the deed but the story heavily ties into the Boyd story, where the Vasa story ties into Rachel / Chris's story, who have taken in Gus' son Jared as a foster child.

And just like Home and Away, SS is tremendous at remaining a true ensemble piece. You really can't say who the lead of the show is because everyone's story comes in ebbs and flows. And then there is Vinnie. The most lovable male character I have seen in a very long time. You will fall hard for him in an instant because of his staunch friendship with Vasa, his semi-fathering nature to Ula, who can be an uber selfish cow, and his all around sense of humour, genuinuity and sexiness. Did I mention the sexy? If for no other reason, check out SS for the fit hot guys. TK, Zac, Vinnie, Josh - it's just too bad Sarah's son Daniel left this year. He was cute as a button and I'm pissed him and Lana didn't end up together.

3. Hollyoaks - This show has constant ups and downs and I've probably stopped and started with it at least 5 times this year alone, but what always brings me back (other than the perfect Ashley Taylor Dawson) is that this show is never afraid of taking risks with it's stories. The way undercover cop Walker gave himself up sexually to Brendan and how he stayed in hiding as Lynsey was murdered all to secure Brendan's downfall, was mesmerizing to watch. And then you have constant screw ups in love, Texas and Dodger. Just when they get together AGAIN, one of them screws it up royally literally the NEXT day, LoL, but they have so much chemistry your love of them will never be unwavering. And even with the nonsensical Rhys affair, it was so wonderful to see Cindy finally being given a real story. Having to stand by with her husband Tony as she watched her other lover die in the hands of his wife, who he was planning to leave that night, was bittersweet and emotionally devastating. And when Jacqui finds out Sinead is probably pregnant with Rhys' baby, that bitch is going to wish she had died in that crash. And, though he has his detractors, the wonderful James Sutton (John Paul McQueen) is soon returning. This is an actor I followed to Emmerdale and initally quit watching when he left, I love him that much. And with this confusing Ally plot out of the way, the show has finally found itself another durable family in the Kanes, especially with alcoholic mum Martha and dour but sweet Callum. And of course there's always my Mercedes, currently in a psych ward. Whenever the show centers on Mercedes it is must see because you never know what lie is going to come out of her mouth next. Not to mention, the friendships. Texas/Doug/Leanne are always highlights when their altogether, it's the only way I tolerate Doug and Leanne actually. And there's also Lacey / Pheobe as well. Even though Lacey was in the middle of being a manipulative selfish cow, when Pheobe admitted she wasn't a virgin because she had been raped Lacey actually became affected by her reveal until Ally wormed his way into her mind again. And Pheobe herself has been a great addition to the canvas, especially once Jacqui took her in. Hell, she's a better McQueen than Theresa and Bart have ever been, and I actually don't mind them as much as others do.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. B&B: Even though the Steffy/Liam/Hope triangle ate the show for most of the year, this is the only show I watched for the entire year without taking breaks. Lately the show as been really great, probably the best in years.

2. GH: This one I've watched on and off all year. Some things FV/RC are doing I love, others not so much, but I do always feel like they are at least trying to save the show and keep it alive, more than I can say for the regime of my next show.

3. DAYS: I've had to give up on DAYS. The stories are either awful or boring. Everything is so "paint by numbers", no surprises, no shocks, no twists. Doesn't feel like they are trying at all or know that their renewal is coming up soon.

4. Y&R: Another show I've had to give up. This show was god awful under MAB, unwatchable. Now under JFP/JG their have been some improvements and doesn't feel like they are destroying the show like MAB's tenure did, but overall show is boring and seems directionless.

• Members

Well said. I agree with all your assessments for GH, B&B, DAYS and Y&R.

DAYS is so blah. I just don't get it. I know the budget became piss poor in early 2009 but that doesn't affect basic storytelling 101 which they seem completely clueless on. I've never seen such unexciting revelations and storyline twists. It really is a great show to fall asleep to. Even the background music is monotonous.

B&B has become an exciting show again and the farewell to Stephanie is how all soap vets should be saluted and recognized. GH is a mixed bag for me since I only watch half their storylines but they've had some GREAT material (and I love having Todd and other OLTL refugees visit!) Y&R is mostly not worth watching IMO, except for a select few characters. Hopefully I'll soon find reason to watch again.

• Members

Agreed. DAYS and Y&R were the 2 soaps I watched faithfully for a long time (and GL), but they're the biggest disappointments. I've watched B&B on and off for over 16 years but I'm back to watching all the time again, and watching GH consistently for the first time ever in my 17+ years of watching soaps. Guess I need a good soap fix, some way some how, even if it's not coming from my favorites. :)

Archived