ABC Soaps in Depth Magazine with Chew ad in it

• Members

So the last two issues of ABC Soaps in Depth that I have gotten have featured a full page ad of The Chew. I don't mind them advertising The View but The Chew?! What a slap in the face to All My Children fans who used to read that magazine for AMC news. It says "TIS THE SEASONING then shows the hosts sitting in a dining room decorated for Christmas with what appears to be christmas ornaments and ribbon on their plates and shows them laughing and stuff then below them it has in big letters The Chew logo and below the logo says Your Home for the Holidays Weekdays 1e|12p|c then the abc logo then below that has the facebook symbol with /TheChewOnABC then the twitter symbol with @TheChew then the abc logo with .com/TheChew. They are seriously even advertising it's timeslot? I see 5,000 of those The Chew ads a day, I shouldn't have to look in ABC Soaps in Depth and see an advertisment for a show that replaced a show I used to watch.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I only look in those soap rags at the checkout line anyway and alot of times I find mistakes by writers who obviously didn't do their research on characters and certain soaps. I could care less about SID advertising The Chew when I open to articles about actors gushing about reality shows, advice to teen girls from young actresses(what teens are reading SID?), fashion of actors who haven't been on soaps for years and are more associated with other shows, a few years ago it was how to cook your meals for the holiday season and that was prior to all the soaps being canceled.

• Members

I just kind of wondered if ABC told them they had to advertise The Chew. One reason I don't feel like The Chew's ratings are accurate is because it will be 2:00 and they will just then start rolling the credits. It's usually about 30 seconds after 2 before GH comes on. I almost laughed when one of the hosts said the other day "General Hospital is up next" and I'm just thinking yeah and you are trying to improve your ratings by stealing it's airtime!!! lol But I agree, enough with the teen ads. These books are for SOAP fans not teen drama and Justin Beiber etc. Also, $3.99 for soap opera digest is a bit steep considering only four soaps are left. I didn't mind paying it when there were eight or nine but since there are four they need to lower that price, and also cut out Carolyn Hinnesy "Just my Opinion". All she does is point out negative things. She never said a bad thing about OLTL but always dogged out the other soaps. Why not say positive things or suggest things they could do to improve but don't get in there and say this shows is crap from A to Z. Then people really won't want to watch.

• Members

I agree It isn't THAT bad. I wouldn't mind it being on daytime if they would relocate it and bring back AMC. It would be a nice show to watch if it didn't cost me AMC! AMC was just getting back to it's former glory with Lorraine Broderick and Agnes Nixon at the helm. Lorraine helped bring us some of those unforgettable and great stories of the 80s/90s. She was turning AMC around and bringing it back to it's roots before it had to end in September of 2011.

• Members

I dont think its a slap in the face of AMC and IMO, people need to get over it. SID has been on its last legs and with only one ABC soap left, its a surprise they are even still around. If having an ad from the Chew is done to help keep them afloat and those people in jobs, then I cant fault them. Its not like they'd rather the Chew here than more actual ABC soaps

• Members

They have ways of telling who tuned in the last minute and I doubt 30 seconds is giving them a major boost.

I was waiting in the checkout line at Walmart one time reading SID and it was like a whole page of Haley Pullos gushing over One Direction and Justin Beiber before giving her advice to teens about growing up. I was thinking why do they have this girl giving out advice about growing up as if she's lived through her teen years. And why is there an article about her gushing over her favorite teenbopper crushes?

And I don't need a daytime soap mag to tell me why I should tune into a reality show or show on the CW.

And yes that price is far too high for me to want to purchase a magazine full of fluff with barley any content.

And why does CBS SID tell me about what's happening on GH? I know NBC SID scrapped years ago back so that's why DAYS is featured in both but obviously you're buying ABC SID for GH and CBS SID for Y&R and B&B. They might as well combine the magazines into one mag if they are going to feature talk about all the soaps in both of them.

• Members

Maybe they could combine CBS and ABC and just call it Soaps in Depth. Instead of one for one network and another for another network. Maybe this is just my opinion but you can give people tips but you can't really give people advice or tell them what to do because until you've been in a situation or something then you don't know what it's like and what worked for you might not work for someone else. People have to do what's best for them and not what was best for someone else. But I agree, too much fluff and filler pages.

• Members

Also, while The Chew may be close to equal to what All My Children was doing in total viewers, it is much lower than AMC in Women 18-34, 18-49, 25-54. I read an article that said that although ABC touts The Chew as being near equal to AMC in total viewers, when DVR viewing was factored in AMC had a significantly larger audience. That's not counting SOAPnet. Honestly I'm not surprised we aren't seeing repeats of the same days episodes of The Chew on SOAPnet lol. Since now they only air three daytime soaps instead of five. Plus, the past few years instead of airing episodes of classic soaps like Another World they got to where they would air DAYS, Y&R, AMC, OLTL, GH then they would repeat episodes of teen shows like 90210 and stuff. It really wasn't SOAPnet anymore.

• Members

Well at the same time ABC also talks about GH being number 1 right now in 18-34 as if that means anything. DAYS and Passions were always top in that category and Passions is dead while DAYS is circling the drain. I don't hate the Chew. I don't watch because i like Food Networking and Cooking Channel better but my mother watches sometimes when she's at home. And I barely watched AMC in 2011 because it was unwatchable by the end for me.

Archived