OLTL characters on GH

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the idea of past AMC & OLTL characters coming on to GH, but they chose the wrong ones. They should have chosen someone like Daniel Wolek who is an open book story wise and would seamlessly fit into the fabric of the show. One of RC's twatty little additions he's created could have been his daughter, etc ...

• Members

You mean would people be more accepting of a combined show? I think that would still have led to turf wars just a different kind. Factions from each show would still be arguing about who got pulled onto the lifeboat and who didn't, whose history is being re-written, what is and isn't in character, etc...

• Members

You're probably right. There'd always be a running tally of how many characters on the canvas are from show A vs. show B, who's being properly represented, who' being propped, HW playing favorites, yadda yadda.

I will miss Erica Kane and Victoria Lord forever, but it's probably best to just let those shows go rather than trying to patch together some messy hybrid. I don't trust that anyone in daytime could do it right. This is where I like the idea of a single 30 min. novella slot in daytime should (when?) GH bites the dust. That'll most likely be the end of ABC soaps for good, but imagine treating the whole of daytime like the big fat rep company that it is and having a great EP and HW producing a series of novellas with a fresh new cast of primarily familiar soap faces. So then you have your Susan Lucci and your Erika Slezak in the same series for a couple of months playing new characters, your Julia Barr and your Robin Strasser playing opposite one another, David Canary and Jane Elliott, et cetera. I think that's "healthier" than these crossover mashups. Everyone is "new" and equal.

• Members

You're perfectly entitled to see it that way, but I don't.

100% of the backstory for these characters is from another show/town, and so far only one has truly clicked (Todd, though even that is debatable), while the other two serve no significant relevance. To me, these are unnecessary characters that are shoehorned into the show because TPTB want to give some of their friends from their last show new jobs. And that definitely shows on-screen for Starr and John.

I didn't watch OLTL to see these characters, and I'm certainly not watching GH to see them either.

• Members

And for me that's the REAL tragedy of where we are right now. Not the death of the old soaps but the lack of anything new. We're now to the point where people are just fighting over the scraps, the few remaining fans and, sadly, a few of the actors are just clawing at each other for the chance to climb on to this melting ice floe. You've got fans campaigning to bring on a certain actor or character or worse, the actors themselves prostrating themselves in the "soap press" in the desperate hope that Carlivati or Valentini will, in their eternal benevolence, invite them to the cool kids' party, even if it's just for a couple of episodes.

I'm one of the more cynical posters on this board but I readily admit that I terribly miss so many of these actors. Not just the David Canarys, Susan Luccis, Robin Strassers but the younger ones that I grew to love like Stephanie Gatschet, Finn Wittrock and Cornelius Smith. The blessing for me as an AMC fan is that I haven't had to watch AMC actors I love humiliate themselves humping Cartini's leg begging for a job.

• Members

I wish they had utilized Skye's connection to Blair and Todd from the get-go instead of forcing them into the show with plotlines they had no longevity. I like Todd on here but he has been reduced to Carly's bestie and is supporting, Starr is ok but I don't like her that much, and John wore out his welcome months ago. I wish RC would get rid of McBain. The crossover wasn't a bad idea but the execution has been horrible. Bc of it Cole, Hope and Tea's baby were killed for no reason other than plot.

• Members

That's the problem Ihave with it. They want to take advantage of the characters backstories in Llanview, which makes sense (otherwise, as Ron said in his audio interview last week, why not just make new characters), but they only do so when it's convenient. And for fans of OLTL it is a bit hard, for example, seeing Todd make it so Cole could have a life with Starr and be happy and then two weeks later having him die in a terrible car crash.

• Members

Has the Prospect Park licensing agreement run out yet? Do FV and RC now have free reign to bring on as many ABC-owned OLTL characters as they please? Also, I wonder what are the "rules", if there are any, about killing off off-screen OLTL characters, if they'd have to run that by higher ups.

• Members

I admit, I wouldn't complain if we had a brief scene with Erica Kane and some others briefly going to PC to see the Nurses's Ball (it could be promo for Erica's movie). Small cameos like that are great with me, and could be hyped in the media, but I wouldn't want her (or anyone except maybe David) from AMC on GH.

Archived