OLTL characters on GH

• Members

While I am loving GH right now, I do have one complaint and that is the OLTL characters. I gave them months to see if I would like them on GH and I don't. I liked them on OLTL but dislike them on GH. Whenever they are on they feel out of place and I think if they got rid of Starr, Todd, John it would free up space for more GH characters. It feels akward with them on the show. No offense but RC and FV need to let OLTL go and stop trying to incorporate it into GH. I love GH and I am enjoying it more now than I have in years but I just wish that they would write off the OLTL characters.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's continues to be a valid complaint though, no matter how often it's stated, especially when characters like Starr and McBain continue to be shoehorned in when they clearly don't work or have any relevancy to the canvas.

This debate won't die until GH is canceled or if Cartini is fired and all the OLTL rejects are fired along with them.

This is exactly the can of worms that was always bound to happen with this scenario,

• Members

At the risk of dipping my toe into a gator-infested pool...

I am enjoying some (i said SOME) of the OLTL characters on GH better than I ever did on OLTL. Maybe that's because OLTL was never "my" show and GH was once. Maybe it's because GH had been totally written into the ground by Pratt/Guza/Frons/Wolf for so long that I couldn't stomach any of the GH characters by a certain point. IMO, bringing on Todd, Blair, Tea and McNostril (god I hated his ass on OLTL!) breathed some badly-needed fresh air into a stale, heartless, soulless soap. Other things contributed to the renaissance of GH (including bringing back Anna Devane permanently -- who would have thought a smart, vibrant, 50-something female cop would be moving so much story on GH?!) but they helped to get the ball rolling.

I don't really care if McNostril stays on the show now that certain SL s have been wrapped up and new ones are launching, obviously Blair and Tea were just there to usher things along at one point, and I could do without that annoying, singing pug yapping up airtime -- but I do hope Todd stays because this show is fitting him like a glove right about now.

*creeps away trepidatiously*

• Members

One of the biggest failures in the writing has been their attempts to get rid of his baggage.

The other is that, as on PC, the more you saw of him with Kelly Monaco, the less interesting they were together. Two depressed people pouting at each other is not overly entertaining.

• Members

I agree that Todd works on GH and will even go a step further and say that he has been a benefit to GH. Other than a few months in 2010 when I tried to give the show a shot and hated it, I never watched OLTL. I had heard of the character of Todd Manning but seeing TSJ’s version did nothing for me and I couldn’t understand how the character could have ever been so popular. When the news that OLTL characters were coming to GH I was among the ones complaining. What I had seen from Blair and Starr in 2010 had not impressed me and I outright hated John McBain (and still do). The only one I was willing to give a chance to was Todd and only because it was Roger in the role who I had seen as Paul Ryan on ATWT (and he was the only character that ever gave me reason to watch that show). I started to like Todd on GH so much that I went back and started watching YouTube clips RH's Todd starting from the storylines in 1993. I was instantly hooked and you know the writing and performances have to be stellar if you’re willing to sit through clips from a soap you’ve never watched that was filmed 20 years ago and in the shoddy shape that YouTube clips from that era tend to be in. Not only did I find Todd to be the most intriguing (scariest and tragic) long term soap villains I’ve ever seen but I realized that once upon a time OLTL was a very well written, well acted soap opera (quite the opposite of what I felt about the show when I tried getting into it in 2010) …. Blair and Starr used to be interesting characters … and KDP at least is actually a very good actress.

After seeing the back story on Todd I like him even better but I’m actually less thrilled with his use on GH now than before and feel like they are terribly underutilizing his potential. I’m not advocating for more airtime, but rather for better use of his airtime. I mean seriously any stock character could stand around and listen to Carly whine, who the hell wastes a soap icon played by an actor as talented as Roger Howarth just to have yet another man revolving in and out of Carly’s orbit … and how can GH not grasp the awesomeness of having Todd Manning/Roger Howarth and Luke Spencer/Anthony Geary on the same soap and not capitalize on it (by my count they’ve had all of 3 scenes together in almost a year’s time). I don’t like Starr (or at least not the current adult version of her character) and would happily trade her for Blair but I would want one of them in town simply because it wouldn’t fit with Todd’s character that he would be in PC with both of them in Llanview. I don’t see any reason for both though and would prefer Blair to Starr. As for John McBain however, I've never seen any purpose to having that character on any show.

Archived