• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Heart and Soul of Soaps are work-a-day actors like:

Esther Linder (Y&R)

Jennifer Bassey (AMC)

James Reynolds (DAYS)

Those actors who never really received acclaim for their roles, and didn't attempt to leave the genre, although I don't fault actors for trying to move on.

THOSE committed to their roles, bring all they have each time, and stick around, even when times are bleak. THESE are the Heart and Soul of Soaps.

• Members

I think the real problem is that soaps simply don't have heart or soul anymore. Occasional glimpses yes, but now it's all about shock value and buzz. That said, and as much as I hate to agree with Branco on anything, I can see the case for Kimberly McCullough. It's a bit much to call her the heart and soul but she grew up on-screen and the audience has been deeply invested in Robin for years. I knew that even though I never watched GH.

Whatever failings the show had, I think that AMC managed to hang on to its heart and soul better than its contemporaries. I also think that they had characters who epitomized heart and soul right up until the end: Ruth, Opal and especially Angie.

• Members

I will always have a soft spot for KKL, and I would agree she is one of the main hearts of B&B. Sharon Case, I don't think that can be said after the last few years of Y&R. I think she was included because Branco is friendly with her.

• Members

When you talk about Heart and Soul I thought this was a topic about when the soaps lost it. I would have said in 95 when the soaps started dropping in the ratings and writers and producers lost focus what soaps were all about and tried getting ratings by using gimmics...or anything they could think of to raise ratings.

• Members

I don't think there's a moment when all soaps lost their heart. I think that moment is different for each show. For example, I think that in the case of GL it was Maureen's death. IMO, that was a first example of long term story being sacrificed for short term plot.

Archived