Your acceptance of recasts

• Members

I didn't warm up to Lauren Koslow's Kate until around 2003 when She and Roman hooked up.

I took an instant liking to Dan Wells' Sami, Stephanie Cameron's Jennifer, and Mark Valley's Jack

Others I loved from jump:

Joan Collins as Alex Spaulding

Christina Bennett Lind as Bianca Montgomery

Terry Lester as Mason Capwell

RKK as Bo Brady

Christine Tucci as Amanda Cory

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that's mostly because we were talking about how long it took for someone to accept a recast, if you ever did. Most people never saw Patsy Rahn's Monica. But I did enjoy hearing the recent comments about whether people ever accepted anyone but David Lewis as Edward.

We're twinnies, like those screaming girls on TAR.

• Members

I'm usually quick to accept recasts, unless they're RIDICULOUSLY wrong like Darius McCrary, Maura West, Eden Riegel, etc.

Some exceptions:

- It took me a while to accept Kyle Lowder as Rick on B&B because I was such a fan of Justin Torkildsen and Lowder's portrayal was so drastically different. But I eventually grew to love him and yes, I loved badass Rick in 2009. I love Jacob Young's Rick also, and he's probably the strongest actor of the three, but I'll always have a soft spot for Lowder.

- I never warmed to Clementine Ford's Mackenzie on Y&R. She was way too wooden. Plus, I was a huge Rachel Kimsey fan.

- I never felt Adrianne Leon's Colleen either. She was good at being bitchy but simply did not possess the warmth and charisma of her predecessor and her successor. Plus, her whispery voice drove me insane.

- I haven't liked Lily since Christel Khalil's first stint. Davetta Sherwood was lackluster and Khalil's current stint has been even worse.

• Members

What was the longest amount of time it took you to fully accept a recast of an actor/character you were extremely fond of?

This one was tough for me to decide since I couldn't come up with one that I had been "extremely fond of" so I guess I'll just use one that I was so used to and that would probably be the transition of OLTL's Jessica from Erin Torpey to Bree Williamson. It's not that I was extremely fond of Erin, it was more that she grew up in the role and I had been a big Clint/Viki fan and saw all the angst they had gone through before Jessica was conceived and I had kind of seen her as Clint's "reward" for dealing with the whole Niki Smith business. Bree came along with a more sexpot look, of which OLTL took full advantage and then some. But again, while I can't say I was ever especially fond of the Jessica character in and of herself, I did eventually come to accept that Bree's version could be believable as Viki's daughter. I mean, by the time I stopped watching the show (when Jared died), it did almost feel like Bree had been playing Jessica all along. I guess you could say that even though I liked Natalie better at that point, I respected the fact that they had handed Bree a lot of stuff and I thought she did fine with it. They threw every soapy cliche they could at her and, while I can't say she bowled me over, I appreciate that she did the best she could. (And it's funny to me that for all the time I saw her on OLTL, when she showed up on Haven as a brunette I didn't recognize her.)

What was the shortest amount of time?

Probably the shortest amount of time was before the replacement even aired--I returned to watching OLTL after a break because I was curious to see how Jerry verDorn would interpret the character of Clint. I knew that nobody was ever going to come close to being like Clint Ritchie (my all time OLTL favorite) because the character of Clint was like Clint Ritchie's spawn, there was so much intertwined between the two. But I was willing to accept JvD sight unseen in the role basically because 1) I knew it was unlikely that CR would have returned permanently; 2) I liked JvD from GL (which basically had crapped on him anyway by that time). I will say, the character of Clint eventually was changed in ways I didn't care for but that had less to do for me with JvD's acting than it did with the direction the writers went.

What was the longest amount of time you were never able to fully accept a recast?

Since RH's recast of Joe Novak from Richard Muenz to Roscoe Born to the present. I was a teen then and from that point on, I never cared for RB in any role and his revivals as Mitch on OLTL actually led to me breaking from that show each time. My tastes don't change much over time! I know he seemed to be popular on RH but I hated him in the role. Honorable mention would be the post Ava Haddad (#2) Cassies on OLTL. Right after Ava came Holly Gagnier's slutty Cassie and it just kind of led me to never really liking Cassie's adult portrayers.

• Members

I never saw JvD as Clint. I just never can. He was OK with what he was given, but he was someone else to me. (I'm not going to get into the Asa 2.0 stuff)

I agree about Roscoe Born as Joe. He was too slimy, although it doesn't help that by the time I watched him as Joe (on Soapnet), I'd seen about a million "good" mobster stories.

• Members

Yeah, that was kind of it, as if to me he was like 80% a less WASPY Ross Marler and 20% kinda sorta trying to be like Clint. But I felt at that point, since no one was going to be able to duplicate either CR or CB, if someone had to get the job, I was glad it was Jerry because I did like and respect him. But Clint R and his portrayal of Clint B do remain among my most missed things about soaps.

• Members

There have been a bunch of good recasts. On AMC Trevor never really caught on til he was recast, Robin Mattson was a perfectly acceptable Janet, and I was fine with all the Charlies. Robin Christopher made Skye her own and she was a recast too. On OLTL all the Kevins and Joeys worked for me, and I was fine when Elaine Princi took over as Dorian. On GH I loved John Ingle. On DOOL I was ok with Eric Martsolf as Brady, and MM and BB were ok as Belle and Shawn.

• Members

Quickly Accepted-

Days- Eric Martsolf is someone i instantly accepted. He was much better than Kyle Lowder and even when I picture older stories that KL acted i picture EM in them. He is not a master class actor by any means, but he is a good soap actor with tons of personality that comes through.

I also accepted Julie Pinson as Billie and Rachel Melvin as Chelsea pretty quickly. While I think Camila Banus is limited in her acting, i had no problem accepting her as Gabi upon assuming the role. I also instantly took to Kyle Brandt but only because he was hot and from the real world.

YR- Clementine Ford was Mac from her first scene for me. Same with Billy Miller as Billy.

AMC- Jamie Lunar as Liza. Miscast? Sure. But damn, she was good! I lived her from the first scene. Of course, never having cared for Liza made a recast easier for me to accept and I 100% get the opposition.

• Members

The Shortest

Days - Mark Valley as Jack, I don't why, but I took to him immediately. Partly he felt like a slightly different character, but I always thought of him as Jack.

Y&R - Jess Walton as Jill, I have very few memories of Brenda as Jill, though I was watching at the time, I was quite young, so maybe this doesn't count so much.

Brenda Epperson as Ashley, I definitely remember Eileen as Ashley and loved her and was excited when she was planning to return, but Brenda was so enjoyable to watch each day she was on and I loved her Ashley too.

Longest

Days - Austin Peck as Austin, I did warm to him eventually, but it took about 2 years. Though I think I just more got used to him.

Y&R - Peter Bergman as Jack, this took until the mid 90's around 1994 or so. I just kept thinking, this isn't Jack, where is that old rascal.

Never

Days - Stephanie Cameron as Jennifer, Just never enjoyed the character again, the whole Peter/Jennifer/Jack dynamic was gone, made worse when Mark Valley was replaced by Steve Wilder (I think that's his name)

Other than that I generally hate recasts, as I always sit there wondering how the original actor would have played the scene, which takes me out of the show.

Archived