FX's The Americans

JackPeyton

• Members

From Joe Weisberg (Falling Skies) and Graham Yost (Justified), the ambitious series follows two ’80s-era KGB spies, Elizabeth (Russell) and Phillip (Matthew Rhys) living undercover as a married American couple in Washington, D.C. The pair, whose bond will grow more passionate and genuine each day, will be tested by both the escalation of the Cold War and the presence of a neighbor (Noah Emmerich), who happens to be an FBI agent.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so over these shows set in the past and not getting things like the styling right. I've seen 80s soaps, both high rated and expensive ones and cheaper ones. I've seen sitcoms featuring working class characters. I've seen procedurals and primetime soaps. I've seen 80s movies and pictures and listened to the music. The way Keri Russell looks in that clip is not 80s. I want to see these women with mullets and big hair and shoulderpads, etc. lol.

Silly I know, but I'll admit the show does look good. It's just annoying when these period shows (including Mad Men) will take a generic, sanitized image to use instead of what things were really like. Hair is NEVER right in these modern period pieces.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Lois Smith (ex-Aunt Betsy, OLTL, and an amazing veteran of all things stage and screen, including Five Easy Pieces with Jack Nicholson) should honestly have an Emmy nom for her single appearance in last week's episode.

• Members

Renewed for Season 4.

I didn't know this, but apparently the showrunners had a 5-season plan for the story and they're now largely there; I would be shocked if FX didn't renew it again, as they have always been behind it for critical prestige vs. numbers, the former being very important to them. Still, I think it could go a few more than five if they so chose.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived