Soap Classic distribution license ending with ATWT and GL

• Members

We've been 'Soaped'!

I figure between the Prospect Park debacle and now this, someone should invent a word that defines the process of elevating the hopes of soap fans, only to have them dashed. Perhaps 'Soaped' is not a good word...can anyone think of a better term?blink.png

I knew of a situation years ago, where a screen adaptation of a novel was never released as a DVD because of music rights issues. In that case, streaming really did prove to be a solution because the film ended up on Hulu.

As for DVDs being a guard against films being put up on sites for streaming, I'm not sure I agree with this. There are many tech savvy people out there and there are quite a number of sharing sites where films are posted for public consumption and many of these films are just released on DVD. Nothing at this point in the digital world is secure against code cracking, hacking and illegal downloads.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At least we got something with Soap Classics....I cant say that about PP fiasco.....I wish we would have gotten some more 80's ATWT and GL. I agree PJ...so many episodes just collecting dust and getting wear and tear....I wish someone would pick up where Soap Classics left off.

• Members

So what would happen if NBC were to cancel DAYS? Do you think they would release DVD's? Or would DAYS end up like the other four cancelled soaps and have all 12,000 episodes stored in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust and rotting. I personally think (even though NBC seems to be behind DAYS) that if it did get cancelled it would end up like the others. NBC was actually going to throw away all 2,500 episodes of Passions from it's entire 9 year run. Tracy Ross saved them and took them all home. Every episode from first to last! If I were her I would figure out some way to sell those DVD's to Passions fans. Would she still have to get the rights to them though? I mean the network didn't even opt to keep them like they did ATWT, GL, AMC, OLTL. NBC was going to drop them all in the trash.

• Members

DAYS is one of the few long running series to have all of their episodes still in tact. For a LONG time tapes were wiped and reused so a lot of the early episodes don't exist. Than I think there was a fire that destroyed some tapes from another series (AMC?).

• Members

I found it interesting that Soap Classics said they're looking into other shows. I wonder what that could mean. I don't understand why they didn't do more with the PGP soaps considering they'll have the same music issues with any soaps they acquire. I think they should've renewed for another year and gotten some AW dvds at least before giving up, also try getting those DVDs in stores.

I wonder if they're looking for the ABC soaps, which might make more money. I can't see Sony allowing them to license DAYS or Y&R for DVD.

• Members

I'm not sure "we're looking at shows" means anything other than "we don't want to piss our customers off and we hope we can get them to buy something else while keeping them hooked for news we can do something with ATWT or GL." I think the talk of getting dvds to WalMart/Target was some pie-in-the-sky optimism and that without some kind of national distribution there's not enough money in it for them.

I hope sometime in the future someone can figure out a way to get all the episodes online---this is America, damnit, where people managed to put a rock in a box and sell it. I know people got to eat, but let me watch Craig and Sierra mooning over each other while "Suddenly" plays in the background, TYVM.

• Members
Craig and Sierra were the absolute BIZNESS! I loved them. I was hoping for a DVD set for them (let's face it, it wouldn't have taken that long!), but alas, time ran out before this could come to pass. I'm pretty sure that Billy Ocean probably knows that Suddenly is up on one of those 'streaming sites' layered in these scenes. Then again, Billy Ocean strikes me as pretty laid back-- the personification of Caribbean cool.By the way, in terms of You Tube- it is indeed possible to 'rip' from there too. As in every other aspect of the digital universe: there's an app for that, too. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future some episodes from these release sets end up posted on there or some other sharing site, even if they are quickly taken down.

• Members

Ah, I only got the early sets--I was waiting till I had money this Christmas to get some more, and have been so busy with work and school I haven't checked this site--or their site--as often as I should have.

Does someone have a list of all the sets they DID release? For a while it seemed like more and more were coming out, so I agree that this does seem sudden (I do believe them that they lost the license, and it prob wasn't financially wise to renew it, but really--to announce that one week, and a week later shut down the site?)

• Members

In no particular order

ATWT:

20 episodes

Christmas

Carly/Jack

Lily/Holden

Kim/Bob's wedding

James Stenbeck

Final 2 weeks of ATWT

GL:

20 Episodes

Reva

Phillip

Bauer Family

Final 2 Weeks

Jennifer Richards Trial from 1981

There was one additional GL set planned, but it was scrubbed. It was to be a Christmas DVD set.

• Members

Darn, I was just thinking GL could've had a good set of Christmas themed shows, as I just rewatched Christmas in Oakdale this past weekend. I'm hoping hubby shopped early (and I think he did, like in October) and I'll get all the aforementioned sets (I only have Christmas in Oakdale, ATWT 20 eps, & GL 20 eps).

What year was it that ATWT had the cast looking directly into the camera as it panned by all of them while they sang Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas? I must've seen it years ago when CBS would air classic episodes during the holidays. I always thought it was funny that the camera was so close up on them while they shouted a song at us (it was an upbeat version of the song) :)

Archived