Stunt Casting

• Members

I thought I would have a little fun with this topic. Y&R for the last while was stunt casting old TV stars. If you could dig up some of your favorites stars from the past, who would they be and what character would you create for them on your shows ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stunt casting is okay in small doses, when it's just done for fun. On ATWT, Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits was brought on as an English butler. He ended up having a sword fight with Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees on the show.

• Members

Yeah, I doubt we all have the same definition. For example, the casting of Bonnie Franklin on Y&R isn't stunt casting to me. I'm 45 years old, watched and enjoyed "One Day at a Time" 30 years ago and still wasn't moved to watch because of her. For all her faults, I can't imagine Maria Arena Bell casting her thinking it was a way to draw viewers, especially anyone under 40. I also wouldn't consider Genie Francis stunt casting. If that's the case, then no soap stars should move to another one. James Franco comes closest in my mind to stunt casting because he's a name that would appeal to the lower demographic and he wasn't a soap star previously.

Archived