Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Stunt Casting

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 SoapDope

SoapDope

Recurring

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I thought I would have a little fun with this topic. Y&R for the last while was stunt casting old TV stars. If you could dig up some of your favorites stars from the past, who would they be and what character would you create for them on your shows ?

#2 yr9190

yr9190

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Stunt casting is the worst thing to ever happen with soaps.

It's okay if it's guests spots, but not if you are hiring former sitcom stars just to get attention.

Edited by yr9190, 01 November 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#3 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Stunt casting is the worst thing to ever happen with soaps.

It's okay if it's guests spots, but not if you are hiring former sitcom stars just get attention.

GF has to be the worst case of stunt casting I've ever seen on a soap. She even tops James Franco and I hated JF on GH.

#4 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 24,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

How is GF stunt casting?

James Franco is stunt casting, I think it's okay as an occassional thing that's about all

#5 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

How is GF stunt casting?

James Franco is stunt casting, I think it's okay as an occassional thing that's about all

What do you mean how is GF stunt casting? Obviously MAB cast her on Y&R to try and get her fans to watch which failed miserably.

#6 Marco Dane

Marco Dane

Llanview's best PIMP!

• Members
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Wendy Williams was good on OLTLPosted Image

#7 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

What do you mean how is GF stunt casting? Obviously MAB cast her on Y&R to try and get her fans to watch which failed miserably.

Exactly.

When you haven't debuted on the show yet and they're running promos about the ACTOR/ACTRESS joining, it is clear stunt casting. That was the case for Genie, who flopped miserably on the show.

#8 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Exactly.

When you haven't debuted on the show yet and they're running promos about the ACTOR/ACTRESS joining, it is clear stunt casting. That was the case for Genie, who flopped miserably on the show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/4qs1Lh3nCL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No one can tell me that Jame Bond wannabe promo was not promoting stunt casting. And the fact that she basically went to lead status by being paired with the leading men of the show as well as being surrounded by former costars only furthered it.

#9 YRBB

YRBB

That's Head Bitch Jill Foster Abbott to you!

• Members
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Adding insult to injury, that promo is a disaster. Absolutely painful.

#10 SoapDope

SoapDope

Recurring

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

I didn't mean that I really wanted stunt casting to continue. I thought we could all go crazy and make up some characters and cast them with old has beens for a few laughs. Didn't want to start a war.....LOL

#11 DaytimeFan

DaytimeFan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,342 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

I loved Joan Collins on Guiding Light...and just because I would worship at that woman's alter wherever I go...I thought she really went for it on GL and was terrific fun to watch. That was stunt casting done right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYWh-Sh3_K0

Edited by DaytimeFan, 01 November 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#12 Quent

Quent

Contract

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Stunt casting is okay in small doses, when it's just done for fun. On ATWT, Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits was brought on as an English butler. He ended up having a sword fight with Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees on the show.

#13 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Perhaps it would be a good idea to agree on a definition of "stunt casting."

#14 tune_in_tomorrow

tune_in_tomorrow

Dayplayer

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, I doubt we all have the same definition. For example, the casting of Bonnie Franklin on Y&R isn't stunt casting to me. I'm 45 years old, watched and enjoyed "One Day at a Time" 30 years ago and still wasn't moved to watch because of her. For all her faults, I can't imagine Maria Arena Bell casting her thinking it was a way to draw viewers, especially anyone under 40. I also wouldn't consider Genie Francis stunt casting. If that's the case, then no soap stars should move to another one. James Franco comes closest in my mind to stunt casting because he's a name that would appeal to the lower demographic and he wasn't a soap star previously.

#15 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

I don't think it's necessarily stunt casting when soap actors go from soap to soap. But when you're running promos exclusively about an actor joining a soap (not the storyline) and hyping them as a casting addition in the press, it becomes stunt casting IMO.

#16 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

I don't think it's necessarily stunt casting when soap actors go from soap to soap. But when you're running promos exclusively about an actor joining a soap (not the storyline) and hyping them as a casting addition in the press, it becomes stunt casting IMO.

I agree that stunt casting by definition includes a promotional element. To me, stunt casting is bringing an actor who has no previous soap connection to a show for a short-term role and promoting their addition to the cast."

I don't consider Genie's moving to Y&R stunt casting because she's an established soap actor.

#17 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

To me stunt casting is when you cast a "big name" to try and gain viewers.

#18 jcar03

jcar03

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

I don't consider the former sitcom stars that have barely worked since their respective shows went off the air stunt casting. I highly doubt they thought "hey, random sitcom star from that 1980s series will really bring in the viewers and get us some attention". James Franco is stunt casting since that whole role and story line wouldn't have existed without James Frano approaching the show.

#19 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,722 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

I don't consider the former sitcom stars that have barely worked since their respective shows went off the air stunt casting. I highly doubt they thought "hey, random sitcom star from that 1980s series will really bring in the viewers and get us some attention". James Franco is stunt casting since that whole role and story line wouldn't have existed without James Frano approaching the show.

But they do. They usually get a writeup on EW's website, which is probably the whole point of casting them. When B&B cast Elvera Roussell as a nurse, probably about five people (including me) cared. When Y&R cast Elinor Donahue, they got EW, a TV Guide Online interview, etc.

#20 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

stunt casting is like hack writer, a highly overused term by soap fans. not every actor who was ever in a primetime show or movie that hits a soap is a stunt casting, esp when no promotion is given to it. an EW article doesnt matter, they also write about what shoe ashley greene wore. they are desperate for content and know that soap fans will read anything related remotely to soaps. most of these actors are out of work and hitting audition rounds and have agents trying to get them a job, any job. for me stunt casting is when a role is created for an actor in the hopes of driving up ratings, or something like james franco hitting GH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users