What happened to Victoria Rowell on Y&R?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with what she said about the soaps and diversity and pointing out that soaps largest audience is AAs. However everything this is discussed on any board the convo eventually goes south. It's hard enough for women to get decent material on soaps but our women minority women especially have it hard. They prop other character for the most part.

Do we really need to use the word Negro like this is 1950?

• Members

And just look how wonderfully Y&R has done in the ratings and storylines since she left.happy.png

Seriously though, and this is just my opinion but Y&R and soaps are being killed by pettiness. The management needs to get over itself. This is not Masterpiece Theatre. I hope I haven't offended anyone but Y&R needs to pull out all the stops and put some flavor back into this show. It is about as spicy as milquetoast right now.

And in terms of Rowell's supposed 'nuttiness', most entertainers are a bit...welll, fill in the blank anyway.

Victoria Rowell did have a point in many ways though. And it's evident every time I hear someone compain about Winter's Wednesdays or see pictures of the hideous wigs that they had Harmony wear or the terrible combinations of colors they put on Neil's ex-wife's skin (can't remember her name-- had stopped watching by then).

What has Y&R done to prove her wrong?

• Members

VR, who I adore as an actress, is very similar to BD. Both are very strong willed, outspoken, a bit eccentric (not a bad thing) and BOTH have actively campaigned FOR YEARS to get back on the show that treated them "badly." If they spoke about the injustices, etc. that's cool. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. I just found it odd that both would want to go back to a "hostile" environment. I would LOVE to have VR back on Y&R - that would get me to return without a doubt. I may not agree with all her opinions, but that's her perspective and based on her experience and I respect her right to speak her mind.

• Members

Since we are comparing VR to BD, does anybody really believe that VR is as crazy as Dickson? The more I watch the show and the more people leak against one Y&R actor or another, the more I believe VR's so-called "crazy" assertions. Y&R, like GH used to be, is very dysfunctional, and its stars have been pandered to for far too long, to the detriment of the show itself.

VR is still smarting over the offense done to her; she is fixated on it (as I would probably be were I in her shoes) and she will talk about it if asked. One could accuse her of not having discretion -- if she really wants her job back as Dru, going onto Twitter to call out Steve kent and Les "Bully" Moonves is not the way to go about that. I think VR is torn between wanting to please her fans and wanting to expose the system in order to bring change. It saddens me as a Y&R fan because I just want her back, period, and I hoped beyond hope that, with the new regime, this would be a new start for Y&R and for Drucilla.

But VR "crazy"? "A problem actress"? GH used to heavily manage its coked-up stars in the 80s to make sure they would show up to work and hit their cues. Are you telling me that VR is that kind of difficult and erratic? No. If anything, VR was an eager beaver, showing up to work early, demanding commitment from her co-stars, collaborating on the look and voice of her character and taking ownership of the part in a way few other actors on soaps do nowadays. IMO, it is this attitude which probably triggered a lot of petty resentment.

Archived