NBC To Start Retro Channel in January - COZI

applcin

• Members

I love that more channels are being created or deciding to show old series. I want to see Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman on this one and maybe Red Skelton, too.

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/15786636/cozi-tv-nbc-going-retro-on-new-digital-network

I like Antenna TV but they really need to diversify their schedule...they show the same series 4-5-6 days/week, resulting in fast rewinds. (There's only so many Good Times I'm gonna sit through, and even less after JA's departure.). Got ME-TV earlier this year so it's been pretty cool getting to see Perry Mason for the first time and revisiting Kojak, Night Gallery, etc.

Maybe someday there'll be a vintage soap channel or maybe a vintage soap block incorporated into a classic channel.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It replaces the Nonstop subchannel, which I get over the air in NYC on 4.2 so if you're in one of the markets, it sounds like it will be an over-the-air free channel. I get Antenna TV, ThisTV and Bounce that way. (We can't get Me-TV free over the air here so I get that through my Time Warner Cable.)

Here's some programming info from wiki:

The following is a list of programs that will be broadcast on Cozi TV, a general entertainment network owned by NBCUniversal designed for digital subchannels of over-the-air broadcast stations in the United States that will be launched on January 1, 2013.[1] The network's programming will consist entirely of off-network syndicated reruns of television series, along with feature films.

The Burns and Allen Show

The Lucy Show

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet

The Red Skelton Show

You Bet Your Life

Charlie's Angels

The Six Million Dollar Man

The Bionic Woman

Magnum, P.I.

Battlestar Galactica

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

The A-Team

Miami Vice

The Incredible Hulk

The Adventures of Superman

Wonder Woman

Batman

Star Trek

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Star Trek: Voyager

Baywatch

Highlander: The Series

Beauty and the Beast

Lassie

The Roy Rogers Show

The Lone Ranger

The Virginian

The Adventures of Kit Carson

Alias Smith and Jones

Marcus Welby, M.D.

Highway to Heaven

Trek, Hulk. the Bionic duo...I'm so there. ;)

• Members

It's only going to be available in certain markets for now, I guess. Although I guess that's the same as all the others, LOL. But ME-TV and Antenna TV have become more mainstream as time goes on and more and more affiliates pop up.

I actually get RTV, Antenna-TV and ME-TV but for ME-TV, my local NBC station that has it as a digital sub-channel is hard to pick up with even a decent over the air antenna. It uses very low MHZ compared to all of the other signals. I would probably need a biggie and when I can pick up every local channel but that one, I can go without. I still have DirecTV, just patiently waiting to cut them.

I can always just watch the NBC shows another way. I never watch them live anyway (Go On/The New Normal/Days of our Lives).

But back on topic, very glad to see another one pop up. It reminds me of RTV though, just maybe 'better'. I think RTV is the weakest, but that's just my personal taste. I do wish I had ME-TV consistently though I like Antenna TV, I'm kind of tired of their shows. I've watched them for years now. I want to see more of the 60s shows on ME-TV.

• Members

The problem you have with Me-TV reception is what I have with RTV. It's very low mhz here so I can't get it. But, from what I've heard, RTV might not be around much longer. Still, it's good that more networks are cropping up to show classic shows and some of which haven't been seen in ages. Folks who don't have cable get to enjoy some of the over-the-air channels. I also think it's cool that more of the cable networks are mixing things up to include old shows.

I wonder, as this trend of OTA digital stations dedicated to old programs continues, if some more genre-specific stations (like for soaps or scifi or crime dramas, etc.) will crop up or maybe they'll want to go broader. When Antenna TV started they insisted they were only showing sitcoms and the like. Then along came Dragnet, Adam-12, Hitchcock, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Here is some more info about COZI-TV I found on Sitcoms Online:

Of the ten markets that NBC owns, nine of them have a Nonstop station, with only the Hartford market not included. Thus, chances of Cozi TV in Hartford are not certain as the other nine markets NBC owns (NY, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington DC, Dallas, Miami, and San Diego).

NBC Owned Television Stations announced the introduction of COZI TV, a new 24x7 national network designed to deliver an easy-to-watch, comfortable and familiar viewing experience to audiences nationwide. COZI TV will combine many of America's most beloved and iconic television series, hit movies and original programming with a warm and welcoming vibe that engages viewers. It will launch early next year on the digital channels of the 10 NBC-owned stations, which serve the nation's biggest markets, and is available to local stations across the country.

COZI TV will be programmed around the clock, while offering local stations conveniently scheduled daily blocks of time that can be preempted for programming of interest to viewers, such as local news, sports and special events. This sought after format – designed by local broadcasters – will enable stations to air companion local programing to their primary channel. Drawing from the vast NBCUniversal library of movies and TV shows as well as from other top studios, including Sony Pictures, COZI TV will bring viewers access to some of America's favorite entertainment. Well-known shows like Magnum, P.I., The Bionic Woman, Charlie's Angels, Highway to Heaven, Lone Ranger and The Six Million Dollar Man will be featured on the network. COZI TV will also air a wide range of movies, showcasing iconic actors spanning generations, including legends Rock Hudson and Doris Day and modern day actors George Clooney and Drew Barrymore.

Additionally, COZI TV will be home to exclusive original programming that is currently under development by various partners. The network will also feature fresh, fun content that will air as interstitial programming to create an environment where people feel connected and comfortable. At the same time, it will incorporate innovative online and social media initiatives to engage the audience and enhance the viewing experience.

The official launch schedule is still not ready.

it all sounds so....cozy. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

!!!!!!! He-Man & She-Ra Christmas special tonight ? Lemme see if I get this damn channel... I don't get Qubo on Comcast, I have to hook my digital converter back up if I want to watch my classic Filmation cartoon block.

Archived