Best "back from the dead" storyline(s)

• Members

Best

On OLTL, I liked Clint's return from the dead, aka Old West 1888 (although the viewers knew he was alive). First, there was Viki walking in on his marriage to her lookalike great-great granny Ginny. Then when they got back home, they had all the reunions with the family, and Sarah Gordon, who came to help Clint when he was blind so he had never seen her before. Later on Tina tells him CJ was named after him. It was just a nice homecoming.

I liked Anna Devane's return only for 1) the fact that it happened at all and 2) the scenes with Robin. Otherwise, wrong soap, wrong storyline, etc.

Worst

OLTL - Victor Lord and Mitch Lawrence. No words needed except to say Mitch was always the character I loathed most on the show, to the point of turning it off.

Days' Steve - After all those years and it being the only thing to make me tune into DOOL after all those years, the story was a disaster. The villains of the piece were changed, Steve had no memory of his life, which dragged on a little too long. Then Benji gets killed, then a wacko ex-girlfriend shows up. Bleh.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When James Stenbeck came back from the dead for the first time (also known as the 'Hello Barbara' scene). It was very dark and macabre-- when he pulled off that hood and revealed himself, the reaction from Barbara was priceless. I can remember coming home from school and catching the last 15-20 minutes of the show and being flabbergasted by this. I had no spoilers or hints to tip me off as to what would happen and I was so absorbed in the big reveal I couldn't contain my shock at how the whole episode played out. That juxtaposed with Margo's fall (right into James' arms) and miscarriage, it was a very jolting couple of episodes. Of course, I was setting my VCR back then so I had to go back and watch from the beginning.

As The World Turns unfortunately did everything they could in subsequent years to undermine this storyline by having James come back from the dead over and over and over. Towards the end, when they still had him coming back from the dead in the 90s and 00s, it had become a ridiculous joke.

But the first time, the way those scenes played out-- the staging was sublime.

• Members

I never watched GL regularly as a kid except when next door at my grandparents but I remember wanting to run over there after school for this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWApiF7CDRw&feature=relmfu

Kimberly on Melrose Place is another great one. Seeing her standing on the beach!

And although not as dramatic I absolutely loved this reunion as a HUGE Vicky/Jake fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWamASMJm0g

• Members

Drake Hogestyn as Roman. All the little clues throughout the storyline to say he's Roman, then as the story picks up, some clues to indicate he's Stefano, followed by the big reveal. I thought Stockholm was not a good follow-up (for any of the storylines involving anyone) but the initial John Black storyline was well done.

Maison Blanche was a pretty good story, but there's one scene that really stands out: Bo and Billie celebrating in their hotel room, the sudden knock at the door, them realizing it's John, and John dumping a very familiar-looking unconscious body on the bed.

One scene wonder also goes to Eve for her reaction when the doorbell rings and she opens it to find amnesiac Shane.

I admit I'm partial to this dialogue.

Marlena: Rolf, I thought you were dead.

Rolf: It didn't take.

For some reason the total lack of logic and writing just charmed me in this instance.

Tony's reappearance in 2007 was just pathetic on the part of Days.

• Members

Count me in as another person who enjoyed the intial impact of Brenda's return from the dead. I loved 'Amazing Grace', her reunion with Jax, and Jax getting shot. I thought the writing fell apart during the last few months (the Luis Alcazar trial, the J&B warp speed romance, Skye's descent into crazy, and that awful out of character J&B wedding were all horrible), but it was the only time I enjoyed Brazen and actually wanted them to possibly hook up. I don't think it ruined Brenda at all (although Skye was totally thrown under the bus for her-she did do some bad things and I don't like Skye anyhow so I didn't care). Brenda still had some personality in 2002 and VM still had great screen presence, charm, and charisma. I do think TPTB made an error in revolving nearly every story around a character/actress that only had commited to six months and in the end they were left holding the bag and scrambling to rewrite everything when she left and it ultimately hindered the show in the long run. In 2010, I felt like Guza just sucked the life out of Brenda and played up all her bad personality traits (her neurosis, her neediness, her fragility, etc) and completely wrote out anything positive about the character.

I also really enjoyed Marlena coming back from the dead in 1991. Although DH was in that pink sweat suit for about six months, the moment RoJohn and Marlena saw one another was fabulous. I am not a huge fan of the Tale of Two Romans story afterward or the John and Isabella pairing, but in the end it really set up story for years to come with the eventual affair and that story really had impact to those around them for years.

Archived