Soap Stars You LOVED in One Role and HATED in Another

• Members

With all my soap viewing, I have come across a few actors that I can love in one part but hate in another. The best example I can come up with for me is Eileen Davidson. I HATED her as Kelly Capwell on Santa Barbara. Not just because I thought she was miscast but because she was an all-around bad actress then. Even her first year and a half on DAYS, that hate carried over. I just don't care for her as a heroine. Now when Kristen turned into a bitch, Eileen came into her own as an actress (IMO) and I've loved her ever since.

When she came back to Y&R, I was a bit cautious because I fell in love with Brenda Epperson's Ashley and though I detested Shari Sh!tfuck, I was hoping to get Brenda back. BUT I loved what Eileen did with Ashley and finally understood what others had felt about her- the role of Ashley fit her like a glove.

I'm sure I'll think of more as this thread goes on but I'm anxious to see how everyone else responds to this, so post away.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved Billy Warlock on GH and DAYS as AJ and Frankie, respectively. He was a disastrous casting choice as Ross on OLTL.

Speaking of OLTL's Ross, I liked Michael Lowry a lot in the role. He was unwatchable from what I saw of him on AMC.

Tonja Walker was great as Alex on OLTL, but she was horrific on Passions as Grace Nancier.

The only time I ever really liked Sarah Brown was as Carly on GH. Never liked her in any other role.

Austin Peck cracked me up on OLTL! But he was unwatchable on DAYS and he wasn't a lot better on ATWT.

• Members

I loved Stephen Nichols & Mary Beth Evans on Days. Didn't like them on GH (it didn't help that I loathed everything Cassadine).

Beth Ehlers was my favorite on GL for years (the good ole days years). But her character on AMC was hard to take and I wanted to like her.

• Members

wub.png Oh definitely!! You know I loved that woman wub.png I miss her TERRIBLY.

"You are a predator"

"Why don't you burn in hell, bitch?"

"Bitch, I will kill you"

LOL!!

Oh and about Aggie. I started watching B&B around the tail end of her time on the show. I was astonished by how boring & lifeless the character was

• Members

Beth Ehlers (ex-Taylor) was a bad fit with ALL MY CHILDREN, that's for sure. In fact, I think they held onto her as long as they did, because they simply didn't want to admit their colossal error in hiring her. Same goes for Marcy Walker, who was great as AMC's first Liza, iconic as SANTA BARBARA's Eden, but who was about as necessary on GUIDING LIGHT (as Tangie) as a cold sore.

Come to think of it, though, how many P&G actors went onto equal, if not greater, success at one of the ABC soaps? There's Robin Strasser -- who was ANOTHER WORLD's first Rachel, and who might have suffered the same fate as BE at AMC, had ONE LIFE TO LIVE and Dorian Lord not come along when they did -- but that's all I can recall offhand. (I don't count Ricky Paull Goldin, since I'm still not convinced his take on Jake was all that popular or appealing.)

• Members

Sharon Gabet (Raven - EON) was completely miscast (in a terribly written role) on AW as Brittany. First, the character was slapped together as a one-note B*tch (the AW writers clearly did not watch tapes of EON and that Raven was written as a male character, but played a woman - until the final year after Slesar was fired). Second, she looked far too old to have been with Catlin in the triangle with Sally. I believe she went back to OLTL to play Melinda, but not sure that lasted long.

Archived