Characters TPTB Tried/Try to Make Work, But they just DON'T (Past & Present)

• Members

Sami Brady! Sorry she used to work in the '90's and early 2000's but she just doesn't WORK at all anymore. I used to wet my pants damn near just to see Sami, now she's the main one I fast forward through. The character needs a rest, give her a nice kidnapping, or let her leave town with ALL of her children to piece her life together. Then maybe she can come back in a year or so as the old Sami Brady. And with Kristen back, now would be the perfect time to dump her. We still have Nicole who works fine as the poor man's Sami Brady (A character she was never intended to be).

#dodgestomatoes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's been millions but I'll try sticking to the current/recent ones.

AMC:

Cara

Griffin

Ryan

Zach

ATWT:

Janet

Katie

Liberty

Parker

Teri

B&B:

Liam

Hope

Justin

Marcus

DOOL:

Chad

Daniel

EJ

Gabi

Melanie

Rafe

Sami

GH:

Delores

Diane

The OLTL Crew (Blair, John, Starr, Tea, Todd)

Shawn

TJ

OLTL:

Aubrey

Brody

Cutter

Dani

Destiny

James

Natalie

Nate

Rama

Rick

Robert

Shaun

Stacy

Vimal

Vivian

Y&R:

Anita

Colin

Daisy

Genevieve

Harmony

Sarge

Sofia

Tucker

• Members

Colby Chandler on AMC. They kept trying to make the character work through three actresses. I think Colby was a perfect example of how just because a character is a member of a core family, that doesn't instantly make them necessary or even workable.

Colby was a mess from the moment she was SORASed because a.) she was aged to much too soon in spite of being completely unnecessary b.) the sorasing only served to highlight a ridiculous, pitiful retcon (Colby was almost Jake's daughter) and c.) she was used to shepherd in a perfectly awful teen scene (Remember her friendship with Sidney? AMC's attempt to recreate Paris and Nicole? Or how about her storyline with Dre and Cassandra?).

Granted Colby had her moments - like when she developed a crush on Frankie (If it's true that Ambyr Childers turned out to be such an ignorant, racist bint, I'm sorry, because that story had mad potential) but in general this was another case of writers choosing pedigree over purpose. In fact I think that Colby helped set the stage for the creation of OLTL's Danielle Delgado. The A-B-C I listed above were equally true for Colby and Dani.

• Members

All three Pierce Riley(s) were bad for different reasons.

Jamie Luner as Liza never worked.

Amanda Dillon should have been given the material of Babe, and then the character would have worked for me. Babe should have never existed.

KWAK!!!

Anita and Rosa Santos.

• Members

On the one hand, you're right: Billie has not fared well over the years. However, I still have so much love for that girl, I just hate to give up on her, you know?

I've said before how I thought DAYS was foolish not to capitalize on either of Lisa Rinna's last two stints. No, she isn't the greatest actress in the world. Nevertheless, LR has the sort of old-school soap presence that draws eyeballs to the screen, along with an ability to hook viewers emotionally into whatever mess her character has gotten herself into at the moment. To put it another way: she ain't dull. Whatever LR plays, she's gonna play it to the hilt.

In that regard, then, Billie might have made an excellent modern-day Julie, someone who might do very dumb things, but for very logical reasons; and in turn, someone you can't help but love and emphasize with in spite of yourself. And who knows? Perhaps Billie still could be that woman. Of course, to make it all happen, they have to get LR back again, they have to get her to commit to more than one day a week, and they have to promise never to put her in that [!@#$%^&*] cop uniform again and, in fact, just get her out of law enforcement entirely and into a career more in keeping with her background. (My suggestion: she opens a new jazz club that becomes the latest "hot-spot" and provides multiple opportunities for characters and storylines to intersect regularly.)

• Members

Most of the ones i see listed are just characters posters hate, and that doesnt mean they dont work on the canvas. Characters like Danile and Rafe are actually very popular though. I like both, but i could take or leave either one. They do work. Daniel has had quite a few successful pairings. Rafe and Sami are loved by many and there was a lot of interest in Rafe and Carrie. What i like about them tho is they get little to no story centered around them. They are truly supporting players and there to give the women story.

• Members

Except I'm not so sure I could buy Shawn Christian as Dr. Mike Horton. I mean, I'd come closer to buying Michael Park (ex-Jack, AS THE WORLD TURNS) or even SC's successor as ATWT's Mike, Mike Collier.

To me, SC makes for a much better vapid "boy toy" for Anna DiMera. That is, if Anna still were on that damn show.

With whom? A tanning bed and a bottle of SPF-30?

Archived