Characters TPTB Tried/Try to Make Work, But they just DON'T (Past & Present)

• Members

Every now and then a character comes along that overstays their welcome. Once the contract is up the character should be scrapped and exit stage. But for some reason TPTB are hell bent on making this character happen. Maybe the character was great the first go round or was good for an era, but should never be heard from again, except for visits (and call it that).

Days of Our Lives -

Rafe Hernandez, the guy sucks, he's boring and saddling him with lackluster siblings doesn't help.

Billie Reed - I LOVED BILLIE from 92-95 when LR played her first, I mean I was a DIE HARD Billie fan. Then Krista Boobs played her and they made Billie weak, needy and skanky and refused to give her a new love interest outside of Bo (even though she had better chemistry with JA, Victor A, Victor W and even Josh Taylor). KA shoulda been the end of Billie. LR second attempt failed. Juli Pinson was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo dull she was awful, so we thought this was the end! LR returns for Billies 5th go round! TPTB love this character but refuse to WRITE for her. BILLIE does not work post 98! #sorry

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lord, where do I begin...

GiGi-motherfvcking-Morasco of OLTL. At first, the idea of a young woman with a can-do attitude who raised her son well against all odds reuniting with her long-lost high school love looked great on paper (even if the long-lost love was Rex), but then Ron made the mistake of making her the de-facto young lead heroine of the show. The fact that she was portrayed as a smug heifer in spite of the writing's insistence that we root for her (whether it was against the 'snobby' Adriana, the 'evil' Stacy, or the conniving Dorian) was why she never worked as a character and why her presence stunk up the canvas like a rotting corpse.

Ryan Lavery of AMC. Granted, I was never a fan of the character, but I thought that he shined when he was with Gillian Andrassy. If AMC was smart, they'd have pulled a Greg Nelson and have him leave the canvas due to him not being able able to get over his true love. Since they weren't, we were subjected to too many women being sacrificed at his altar instead of cutting that dead weight loose.

Cassie Layne-Winslow post-Laura Wright. Once LW decided to skidaddle for GH, they should've found a way to write this character out instead of hiring the bland Nicole Forrester to replace her. Granted, Cassie was involved with the Jonathan/Tammy story at the time, but I'd have much rather seen an exit than the subsequent scenes of Cassie becoming less and less relevant over time.

• Members

LOL. I'm never going to stop banging that drum until Dr. Bring Me All Your Daughters/Keep Rewriting My Backstory Until I Fit In Somewhere is GONE.

The most recent DC podcast said that if SC had come to Days as Dr. Mike Horton, he would have fitted in better onto the canvas. Hmmm. Perhaps.

• Members

Kelly Sullivan's Kate/Connie. I don't get RC/FV's fixation on this actress and character(s). She is good at bringing the camp and fun, but what purpose does she serve on the canvas exactly?

I think GH sticks with characters that don't work for far too long. They tried to make Courtney happen for like five years and no one liked her. They kept Lisa for far too long past her expiration date. And characters like Spinelli, Diane, and Anthony are good for comic relief or certain plot points, but they do not need to be contract players. If we are being honest, Sonny, Jason, and Carly + spawn have far outlived their actual usefulness.

I think Ryan Lavery was a sucess at some point, but the overkill of the Rylee pairing was just too much.

And Daniel on Days is just ridiculous.....I hate him.

Archived