Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Characters that we gone too long and should've been on canvas

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hello all I'm a newbie. I love the board. I've noticed alot of the remaining soaps are bringing back past characters. What characters should have been on canvas PERIOD even if it meant being a recast during a specific storyline or timeframe, or could have driven story.

My choice:

Days of Our Lives, Anna Dimera

Anna should have been on canvas throughout the 90's, she could have been all up in the Carrie and Sami drama, she could have been apart of the Roman, John, Marlena, Kristen and Tony story. She had history with rich characters and was a rich character herself and the 17 or 18 year stretch was too much. The lady that played Tiffany on GH would have been a good Anna recast if a recast was needed.

#2 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I know a LOT of people are going to say GL's Hope Bauer, and I can't say I disagree with them.

#3 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,521 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

You stole my choice.

After that I'd say Andy Dixon.

#4 Mr. Vixen

Mr. Vixen

The Truth Cannon

• Members
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Bobbie Spencer, GH

#5 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

Gabrielle Medina Forever!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 MrQuartermaine

MrQuartermaine

Contract

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Alan Quartermaine & the rest of the Quartermaines on GH.

#7 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I agree Gabbie left such a big impact! She should not have been off of the canvas for 10 years!!! She should have been back in Llanview by 95 and Andrea Evans (Tina) should have been by her side. OLTL messed up big time by letting those characters stay gone for so long.

#8 Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

DAYS: Bill Horton

#9 EnglishTea

EnglishTea

Contract

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Julia Barr: Brooke English (Chandler)

#10 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:58 AM

Eric Brady. He should have been recast ages ago and in the middle of his twin sister Sami's drama. I think Jensen Ackles was good, but certainly not irreplaceable. I never understood why no one thought to bring him back especially when his family has gone through so much in his absence.

On GH, I think they should have either recast Brenda or gotten VM back earlier somehow. Twelve years (with one six month stint in between) was just too long to sit on such a popular character. You just couldn't go back especially with S&B after what Sonny has become.

#11 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,521 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

I don't think there was any story left for Brenda even several years before VM's first exit.

#12 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Brenda was, and is, nothing without Vanessa Marcil.

Days- Eric Brady, Sarah Horton, Scotty Banning

#13 SFK

SFK

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

Eric, Goldie, and Silver Kane, Mark Dalton

Meredith, and Tony Lord (gone too soon)

Melinda Cramer

#14 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

Brenda was, and is, nothing without Vanessa Marcil.

Days- Eric Brady, Sarah Horton, Scotty Banning

Oh I agree Brenda is nothing without Vanessa Marcil, but she was just gone too long (and I am not sure a recast would have worked, but would have kept Brenda mildly relevant). I love her and Brenda is probably my favorite soap character of all time, but I just thought her time had past by the 2010. Sonny and Jax had both moved on several times and they hadn't mentioned Brenda in years until about three days before she rejoined GH. It was just a hot mess of trying to recapture something that was amazing, but not actually trying to recapture it through actions onscreen. It was all exposition and relying on memories and flashbacks to tell a story.
Oh, and totally agree about Scotty Banning. What a missed oppurtunity for a legacy character.......

#15 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

I don't think there was any story left for Brenda even several years before VM's first exit.

Really? I have always thought of Brenda as a fairly viable character up until Carly literally took her place around 2004. She had a lot of non-mob connections and had better chemistry with IR and MB than any of the Carlys. The problem with GH is that they played the Sonny/Jax/random woman that looks like Brenda triangle in her absence to the point of exhaustion, so by the time she came back even I was tired of the prospect of S/B/J. The bottom line is Brenda's set up was horrible and GH was such a disaster in 2010 that she never should have returned let alone carry the weight of GH on her shoulders via the ridiculous promotion.

#16 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,521 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

Really? I have always thought of Brenda as a fairly viable character up until Carly literally took her place around 2004. She had a lot of non-mob connections and had better chemistry with IR and MB than any of the Carlys. The problem with GH is that they played the Sonny/Jax/random woman that looks like Brenda triangle in her absence to the point of exhaustion, so by the time she came back even I was tired of the prospect of S/B/J. The bottom line is Brenda's set up was horrible and GH was such a disaster in 2010 that she never should have returned let alone carry the weight of GH on her shoulders via the ridiculous promotion.

IMO her story ended when Sonny left in 1997. I liked the reconciliation with Julia, but everything else - that embarrassing breakdown, the reunion with Jax, basically being handed this and that by Jax and sitting around talking with Robin about how perfect he was - either didn't work or seemed like filler. Her return stories always seemed like marking time until she left again. I think the story with her mother in mid-98 was the final ribbon on the bow and they should have left it there.

Edited by CarlD2, 04 October 2012 - 03:40 AM.

#17 Cat

Cat

Hiro Mizushima

• Members
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

Brenda (Vanessa Marcil), GH.
Stefan (Stephen Nichols), GH. The Cassadines were never the same afterwards.
Laura (Genie Francis), GH. I can't even stomach Luke on my screen now.
AJ (Sean Kanan), GH.
ALL the Quartermaines, GH.
Anna Devane, Robert Scorpio and Duke Lavery (Finola Hughes, Tristan Rogers and Ian Buchanan), GH.

Liz Foster (Julianna McCarthy), Y&R.
Drucilla (Victoria Rowell), Y&R.
Malcolm (Shermar Moore), Y&R.
Bobby Marsino (John Enos), Y&R. A Bobby-Nikki-Victor triangle writes itself.

Felicia (Lesli Kay), B&B -- she might as well be off canvas given how little she is featured.
Thorne (Winsor Harmon), B&B -- DITTO.

Not quite on topic but... I don't think they ever should have killed off Storm (William deVry) on B&B. He could have generated a lot of story, much more than the boring Marones. FWIW.

Edited by Cat, 04 October 2012 - 04:57 AM.

#18 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,456 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

OLTL

Tina Lord. I cant believe 11-12 years were there between appearances. I think she could have been recasted with Cynthia Preston or Rebecca Staab

CJ and Cord Roberts. Basically I hate how the Roberts family was written out and never came back full force on the show

Edited by Cheap21, 04 October 2012 - 05:03 AM.

#19 Cat

Cat

Hiro Mizushima

• Members
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

While the death of Bill Spencer (Jim Storm) on B&B has allowed the show to bring on Dollar Bill and open up the canvas, I did for a long time miss the Spencers (he and Caroline in particular) and wished they would have brought him back on a more permanently.

And with "the Spencers" I would also include Margo Lynley (Lauren Koslow).

#20 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,521 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

I agree. I struggle to even consider Dollar Dye Job part of the Spencers. Bill might have made that believable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users