On-line Soaps: My opinion and what I am going to do about it!

• Members

IMO A soap is a continuous character-driven story about human relationships and struggle. ATWT, GL, OLTL, EON..etc are what soaps are about. I can accept shows like Dallas and Revenge as soaps because they are about human struggle and they are continuous. I pretty much accept anything that is a continuing drama a soap. I tried watching some online ones but something does not feel right. I can accept online as a reasonable haven for soaps but I can not watch on line. It doesn't matter what TV soap I watch or how bad it has become (if on daytime) and I still can find a presence of the accomplishments of Bill/Phillips/Nixon on them but I can not find there presence on the Online soaps. Does anyone else feel that way?? I have been in the process of writing my own webseries but it will be text-based. If I ever get the funds I will make it visual. I plan on reinstating the accomplishments of Phillips/Nixon/Bell and it will be middle class.

Does anybody understand my issue with online soaps? Also, does anybody have a suggestion on where I can blog them??

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think a soap needs to be continuous to be classified as a soap I also don't consider every drama a soap or everythnig with a triangle a soap either. My problem with websoaps is for some reason they looks so cheap and are so boring to me.I've seen better webshows produced than the few websoaps I've seen.

• Members

The problem with online soaps is the crummy production values. The Bay can drag out every soap star under the sun it still looks like an amateur production to the point that it takes you out of the drama. This is 2012 and we have all been trained to know what a proper TV show looks like, or what a movie looks like, and these online things do not look like them. Even if we don't give that as the reason, it is subconsciously affecting how we see them the very same way so many kids today just cannot watch a movie in Black and White.

• Members

I just realized that it is more of a combination of both meaning the lack sophistication. Back when GL was mainly middle class it had sophistication and when GH was doing Comic Book storylines they had sophistication. Soap have always had the lowest production values but they always seemed to "hide" that somehow by having good writers and actors. Since these shows have bad writers the poor production qualities are showing. So maybe there needs to be a balance??

Archived