Doctor Who

DRW50

• Members

Capaldi talks to Newsweek about the show's future, Moffat's exit, etc. He reiterates he doesn't know whether he'll stay or go, but pointedly critiques the BBC's scheduling and taking the show for granted last year.

I think he's right - a lot of the longtime fans who remember the trauma of the '80s and '90s with DW always struggling to survive in some way don't always realize that this show is now an established, popular cash cow again for ten years running. That's why it was taken for granted last year by the programmer. I'm glad it is taking the year to regroup and presumably be feted properly in '17.

Edited by Vee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

She looks like a younger version of the woman who played Martha's mother. She also looks a bit like Sharon, the first DWM companion.

I'll certainly give her a chance. I'm glad they didn't go for a glambot type, as it's become rote in recent years. It's hard to judge on that clip as they're giving her a lot of Donna-type lines that Catherine Tate made work because she was Catherine Tate. I kind of wish they'd given her a more dramatic clip for her debut. 

I think Rakhee would have been the best choice, but I hope Pearl works out and I do see potential.

• Members

I do like that she's more overtly screwball comic than Clara or even Amy. Reminds me a bit of a '60s companion. I think big drama would've been the wrong way to go after Jenna.

This does remind me of how casually Freema Agyeman was treated by the show with its Billie Piper hangover when she could've run for years like Lis Sladen. I'm glad they've finally added a new companion of color to right that wrong.

• Members

I'm not sure - I have heard it's from an actual episode. I think they start filming in May, as I think Pearl Mackie is currently doing theater.

I think a big part of the year break is that Moffat is unavoidably committed to Sherlock.

Edited by Vee