What if.......

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I got that :) I used DH as an example of a very dramatic soapy title. I'd love to watch a well written, modern primetime soap with a title card similar to a vintage soap opening like the Lighthouse or the Globe. Maybe some organ music as well. If I did GL, I wouldn't use tired characters of the daytime version but a new group of people, with the lighthouse as a constant and perhaps a character like original Father Ruthledge and young Ed and Mike Bauer. Something like that.

• Members

That is like an idea I had a while back. I think they should have made a movie on SoapNet about the back story of PV. The rise and fall of Mona/Eric, Linc/Amy/Joe/Ruth/Anne/Nick in High School. I would even like to see Phoebe as a Teenager!! I wish SoapNet did movies based on the soaps.

• Members

There are a lot of differences between Dallas and any old cancelled daytime drama with regard to a 2.0 version. Firstly, Dallas was a huge phenomenon, far surpassing any former daytime soap in terms of recognizability, popularity, etc. Secondly, the Dallas 2.0 version returns with a good chunk of the main cast still alive and intact. Plenty of rich history and continuity to draw from to continue old stories and spin off new ones.

A show like EON (or Ryan's Hope) where the majority of the old cast have either died, moved on, retired, etc., would provide little-to-no connection with a new version except in name only and, if that's case, why bother saddling a new show with the name? There would be almost no familiarity with the old show to lure in nostalgic viewers and new viewers wouldn't care.

• Members

I think the biggest drawback would be not having Henry Slesar's writing. But if you had a fantastic writer and a good producer then you could still start over. They could center the early episodes on Deborah (Frances Fisher) and use her to bring in new cops and lawyers.

You could also use Ann Flood.

Archived