Y&R: October 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members

In my very humble opinion, all the components are there (production changes and projected stories, provided they have a bit of the 'zip' that was missing from JG's brief tenure in 2008) for a better show.

But it they're not put in the right place, and each of the people in place succumb to their worst vices, disaster will strike. I'm used to having lost 'traditional' Y&R (as much as Griffith may know and respect history, he isn't from that 'circle' school under Bell) but that doesn't mean we can't still have a well-written and engaging show.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But from what I've noticed most of those posts come from noisy "super fans" that came with MAB's new hires from other soaps and "their" actor has either been let go, or they suspect will be soon. From what I can gather most have little or no attachment to the show other than that particular actor(s) and have wanted the show written around the superior talent that is "their" actor(s) from day one. Some try and pretend they are into the show, but many state they are only here only as long as "their" actor is. Great way to grow the show MAB! Lose more than a million of loyal longtime Y&R viewers that have watched for decades for a few handfuls of fair weather fans that lobby non-stop for more airtime for their newbie.

Exactly. I think it's been damaging. Those fans are often the ones lobbying for other Y&R longtime characters and core families to be changed, destroyed, or eliminated to accommodate story or airtime for their actor. The message boards have become more of a promotion device rather than a discussion. Posts may seem like they are talking about story but their opinion is clearly meant to promote more of the one they love. Having a favorite couple or family is completely different than following a specific actor.

• Members

Sally McDonald directs tomorrow's US episode - when was the last time she directed? I don't think she's done any directing since her promotion, and she definitely should still be directing (even if it's not regularly).

Also, version 6 of the opening:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LBLm7PhmlMc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

I don't think she's been demoted, though I wouldn't mind it either, it didn't seem like the producing staff had any guidance over the last few years.

I think Mike Denney was on vacation at some point over the last month, so maybe they needed someone to step in. Denney also lives in Oklahoma now and tends to direct his episodes in chunks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Denney retires in the near future, he's almost 70.

• Members

Directed by Sally McDonald, Written by Susan Dansby and focussing mainly on the issues of Paul and Phyliss, which worked as the two stories share many of the same people.

I really liked tomorrow's episode. I found the direction and production quite sharp, and the writing to be fun and quite focused. Things happened but it seem rushed. I've only got back into watching in anticipation of the changes, and this is the first episode I nearly watched without FF anything (I say nearly because of Lily/Cane. Can't have everything, can you?, lol) Also, I did notice quite a bit of sharp cutting/sharp cuts to black (quite DOOL/Gary Tomlin-esq).

• Members

I think it's typical of Sally's episodes - where you see the back of an extra walking and it cuts into a new scene, she's been doing that for years.

I noticed that was used a lot on the Crimson lights scenes, the Kyle/Eden scenes, and the Christine/Michael scenes.

Or are you referring to something else UK LAW?

Archived